Help with focused learning in Carrara

Looking for a bit of guidance on what I should focus my learning time on. Just picked up Carrara Pro, I'm hoping it will be a little easier to learn and more focused workflow than something like Blender for trying to do model deformations, painting, and eventually, character creation. I'm about an hour into the basic Phil Wilkes 8.5 tutorial, trying to get more familiar with the concepts as I go, but I can see that there's a lot of parallel functions to Daz Studio, like animations, rendering, etc. I'm guessing those types of functions it doesn't do nearly as well as Daz, and I've been reading that it doesn't natively import Genesis models after the first gen, although I've seen posts such as https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597316/genesis-9-we-are-back-in-the-game-carrara-users and it makes me hopeful that I'm not completely wasting my time, but these types of posts are geared towards people much more familiar with the workflow than I am and I'm hoping someone can explain to me what this means in laymens terms. Is it possible to import and work on Genesis 9 models and create new characters from the base?

Do I need to be able to do that in order to work on individual pieces of a character's mesh and textures?

Does the Particle System carry over into Daz Studio? Sounds like an exciting feature, but I don't want to waste time on learning it if it's not exportable.

And does anyone have any experience overcoming a weird issue on Mac OS Monterey where after installing and giving it root permissions, Carrara freezes when trying to create or load a scene (even a completely empty one)?

Comments

• Guess a better and simpler question is "is there anything worthwhile to learn in Carrara for the purposes of a Daz Studio workflow that I can't easily achieve in something like Blender?"

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

Carrara was once Daz's flagship software,  but that was a number of years ago,  in the distant past. at least a decade back.

There is still a strong community and they have a dedicated discussion threads here in the forums. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/carrara-discussion

But Learning Blender  will certainly give you industry level transferable skills.