How to pick an upgrade for my current build?

serialchiller09serialchiller09 Posts: 25
edited April 2023 in New Users
I'm new to Daz and have an older gaming rig. Msi gtx 1660ti 6gb, Intel xeon E5 1680 V2 CPU, Asus Rampage Gene IV board, Toshiba 500gb ssd, 2tb hard disk, 32gb ddr3 ram. As you can imagine I'm having trouble rendering anything of substance due to lack of vram. I'm considering upgrading amd would like to get some recommendations on what specifically i should upgrade? I dont have a max budget in mind but $1k would be ideal. Id also like to know how to go about limiting the amount of vram I'm using. Is there an indicator of how much vram is taken by each material/asset? Thanks for your help!
Post edited by serialchiller09 on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925
    edited April 2023

Look at getting at least 32GB of RAM and an RTX 3060 12GB VRAM, at minimum (but to get that and be able to utilize IRay you would need to get an Intel system) along with a 4tb and up external for all your content. I'd suggest getting a 1 TB SSD for your main system drive depending on how much software you have.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • frank0314 said:

Look at getting at least 32GB of RAM and an RTX 3060 12GB VRAM, at minimum (but to get that and be able to utilize IRay you would need to get an Intel system) along with a 4tb and up external for all your content. I'd suggest getting a 1 TB SSD for your main system drive depending on how much software you have.

Thank you for your suggestions although I do have 32 gb ddr3 ram and my cpu is Intel xeon i5. Would I have any issue with my current cpu and a 3060 if I change my render settings to not allow cpu fallback? I know the cpu isn't ideal but I'd rather spend the money elsewhere if possible
  • How many threads does the CPU give? And what is the rating of the power supply? How much free space is there in the case? Modern GPUs draw a lot of power, and are big.

• How many threads does the CPU give? And what is the rating of the power supply? How much free space is there in the case? Modern GPUs draw a lot of power, and are big.

Good point, its a 600 watt. Cpu has 8 cores, 16 threads. Plenty of space
    Screenshot_20230416_105400_Gallery.jpg
    1440 x 3200 - 2M
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321

What version of Windows and Studio are you using? I had to build a new PC
    because my Win7 Studio 4.12 wouldn't recognize the 2 new 3060 GPUs.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Petercat said:

Windows 7 (ultimate) works fine with RTX 3060 12GB as does DS 4.15 

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

frank0314 said:

Just curious, why would an Intel system be needed? (typing this on a Ryzensmiley)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,301
    edited May 2023

Kitsumo said:

frank0314 said:

Just curious, why would an Intel system be needed? (typing this on a Ryzensmiley)

Echo the above, why.. ? never heard of and experienced that utilizing Iray would need an Intel sys.... (typing this on a Ryzen Threadripper blush) . On the contrary, I've seen there were quite a few issues coming from Intel sys while using Ds + Iray rendering + routine manipulation...

Post edited by crosswind on

PerttiA said:

Petercat said:

Windows 7 (ultimate) works fine with RTX 3060 12GB as does DS 4.15 

By the time I puchased the 3060s, Studio 4.15 was no longer available. I had 4.12 working smoothly,
    and heard too much about problems with the then-current version. So when I built a new computer
    around the 3060 cards, I had to use 4.2x and I really don't like it. But it's 6X faster at rendering than
    the WIN-7 1080ti system, so I'll live with it, bugs and all.
    I just wish I could find a copy of Studio 4.15, it seems to be the best and fastest.

edited May 2023

Kitsumo said:

frank0314 said:

Yeah, you don't. You just need an Nvidia graphics card. 3060 is a good choice if you're on a budget.
    At least, it's what I use, and I'm satisfied.
    I echo what Kitsumo said, 3060 and 32GB of RAM is a good setup.

Post edited by Petercat on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,231
    edited May 2023

We have pruned the thread as posts began to address the posters rather than the topic. This is against ToS. It is important to be mindful of how you post and how you respond. If you have issues with how something was said or responded, the correct way to handle this is by making a report to the admins/mods. Too often it is too easy to assign a sentiment to something said that may not be there. Erring on the side of it not being an insult can keep the thread level as well as it staying to the issue and not the person addressing. If the perception continues, then make a report so the mods can handle it and no one strays from the ToS.

Please note this warning is addressed to everyone.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,301

My fault ~ I shouldn't have posted in here. I apologize...

• Cris Palomino said:

We have pruned the thread as posts began to address the posters rather than the topic. This is against ToS. It is important to be mindful of how you post and how you respond. If you have issues with how something was said or responded, the correct way to handle this is by making a report to the admins/mods. Too often it is too easy to assign a sentiment to something said that may not be there. Erring on the side of it not being an insult can keep the thread level as well as it staying to the issue and not the person addressing. If the perception continues, then make a report so the mods can handle it and no one strays from the ToS.

Hey, Cris how would you use my 2 graphics cards? Would you do it differently? 

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,231

serialchiller09 said:

Cris Palomino said:

Hey, Cris how would you use my 2 graphics cards? Would you do it differently? 

I work primarily on a Macbook Pro and we don't really have much choice in the cards that get put in them. As a result I have never been able to use GPU, for instance. So I would not be able to give you much usable data. Good luck though. Budget is always a consideration and a challenge.