Texturing from Substance

Hello,

Are there specific things to know when texturing for DAZ from Substance? I was aiming to create a strass texture for DAZ but whatever I try, the texture looks dark. Emissive change nothing that lead me to think :

- My maps are wrongly used in DAZ (currently I have : base_color, alpha, displacment, roughness, emissive, metallic, normals)

- The way I'm exporting maps is wrong (currently i'm using Blender BSDF compatibility from Substance)

- Strass causes ambient occlusion mistakes (but I'm not using it)

Any hint?

Comments

• Strass?

Unless you are painting glowing materials I would not expect you to want emission. Which shader is applied to the surfaces (shown at top-left of the editor tab of the Surfaces pane)? With the Uber base translucency can darken the surface, as it lets light bounce in and some will be absorbed rather than scattered back out - that is correct, but may cause issues if the base colour does not allow for it.

• arthenicsarthenics Posts: 143

Well... right, emissive is not usefull.

Anyway, thanks for the hint. Iray uber was missing and... that changes a lot of things. Now I just have to rebuild all my textures settings for all my custom clothes in DAZ. Enjoy! (sic - 15 clothes with six maps each this only for one color. Erf.)

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,417

strass is a word?

you probably dont need metallic on most clothing materials, perhaps for buttons but those can be separate material zone.

Anyway. your question about specific things to know:

• Displacement should probably be in .exr (32bit float) format (maybe can get away with 16 bit png...).  Mid level for displacement should probably be 0.5, as not sure how Daz treats negative values on a Disp map. They may clamp these to only positive values, so displacment maps probably shouldnt be set with mid level 0 or negative values will get clamped.
    • Normal maps should be 16bit png. They should be using OpenGL rather than DirectX. You can change DirectX to OpenGL in Substance Painter Project settings.  When setting up export template in Substance, you can export either Normal channel to Normal map or instead can do Converted Normals, from memory the converted normals combines Height + Normal channels + Baked maps.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,994

Yes, strass is a word. A rhinestone, brilliant glass used in the manufacture of artificial paste gemstones, consisting essentially of a complex borosilicate of lead and potassium. It is named after its inventor Georg Friedrich Strass.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/strass