Please explain how samples and render quality works in simple terms

jorgepefreak99jorgepefreak99 Posts: 4
edited April 2023 in New Users

[Please explain how samples and render quality works in simple terms] Mostly because I get that I must learn some terms and lenguage, but each time I search for info about the topic, they only speak in words I dont understand

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• A renderer like Iray will just keep going until stopped. Max Samples is oen way to stop it - guess how many times through it is likely to take to reach a decent point, or how long you are willing to give it to try. The same is true for Max Time.

As the render keeps looping round it will follow slightly different paths for the light rays, so the resultant colour returned for each pixel will vary. Iray adds all the variable colours up and averages them. Another way to stop the render is to look at how many pixels have reached a fairly stable colour - the Render Converged Ratio is the percentage of pixels thata re counted as done. Render Quality decides how stable the colour has to be to count as done - the higher it is, the fussier Iray is, the longer it will take to reach the target ratio.