Wearables presets not loading associated pose preset

I have a persistent problem that when a wearables preset is also supposed to include a pose preset, the pose portion of the preset does not load.

While there are ways of fixing it by mucking around in the files, I would like to fix whatever the general problem is, because clearly it works for other people.

Comments

• Have you turned off the option to parent fitted items to the fit-to target? That might confuse it, as it would not be the expected hierarchy. The log would probably tell you if that was the stumbling block.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,438

These aren't presets I've made, this is any preset of this nature from store products - e.g: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-dforce-towels-for-genesis-8 which contains matched prop/poses - so I can reasonably assume that the files should work without having to mess around with any options.

• Parenting after fitting is a Daz Studio setting, not a content setting. Do the items in fact get parented to the figure?

The items do get parented to the figure (which I assume is the expected behaviour), but the posing does not load.

There is nothing in the log that indicates any obvious error - these are the entirety of the log entries relating to an attempt to load "SYTG8 Towel Dry Face 01 Right G8F.duf"

2023-03-26 17:15:14.174 [INFO] :: Prepare asset load (merge): /People/Genesis 8 Female/Clothing/SY Towels dForce Genesis 8 Female/Wearables/SYTG8 Towel Dry Face 01 Right G8F.duf
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.174 [INFO] :: Locking viewport redraw...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.174 [INFO] :: Viewport redraw locked.
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.272 [INFO] :: Native format content directories: 19
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.272 [INFO] :: Poser format content directories: 3
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.272 [INFO] :: Other import format content directories: 0
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.272 [INFO] :: Begin asset load (merge): /People/Genesis 8 Female/Clothing/SY Towels dForce Genesis 8 Female/Wearables/SYTG8 Towel Dry Face 01 Right G8F.duf
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.274 [INFO] :: Determining missing assets...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.297 [INFO] :: Setting textures...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.298 [INFO] :: Scanning for addons...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.301 [INFO] :: Creating node geometry...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.302 [INFO] :: Creating UV sets...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.302 [INFO] :: Creating materials...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.314 [INFO] :: Resolving legacy figures...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.314 [INFO] :: Preparing modifiers...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.314 [INFO] :: Creating modifiers...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.317 [INFO] :: Applying animations...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.363 [INFO] :: Finalizing modifiers...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.363 [INFO] :: Finalizing simulation providers...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.363 [INFO] :: Sorting property groups...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.363 [INFO] :: Setting up follow targets...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.363 [INFO] :: Finished asset load (merge): 0m 0.91s - /People/Genesis 8 Female/Clothing/SY Towels dForce Genesis 8 Female/Wearables/SYTG8 Towel Dry Face 01 Right G8F.duf
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.991 [INFO] :: Unlocking viewport redraw...
    2023-03-26 17:15:14.991 [INFO] :: Viewport redraw unlocked.

And yes, I've checked this file in Notepad++ to be absolutely sure that it's also supposed to include pose data, but only the prop loads. (And no, the figure is not locked in any fashion).

This is consistent across all combined wearable/pose presets that I can recall. They also do not load shape presets that I can tell (I've got a wearable I made where I know I included a shape preset, and which used to work, but now the wearable preset only loads the graft).

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,388

I tested nearly all of the presets (directly load each Pose presets with towel ) and found they all work well~ So which preset has such a problem?

edited March 2023

crosswind said:

So which preset has such a problem?

No wearable preset, regardless of product or whether it is one I have created myself, that is supposed to load a pose or shape at the same time is loading anything other than the prop or clothing; this particular set was just used as an example of the kind of presets that are not functioning.

As such, I do not believe the presets themselves are the issue, but instead a configuration problem with DS that is stopping them loading correctly. However, I don't know what, and I'm really rather hoping that I can fix the problem without having to re-install DS entirely and lose all my other settings in the process.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on

Where is your G8 Starter Essentials located? Have you ever installed it via Daz Connect?

crosswind said:

Where is your G8 Starter Essentials located?

E:/Program Data/Daz Studio/Daz Content/

Have you ever installed it via Daz Connect? 

I don't believe so, but even if it ever was, my Daz Connect library is currently empty.

Maybe try another test... Do you have G3 ?  Load a G3F and apply the wearable, see if her pose changes no matter it'll be correct or not. If there's a pose triggered, probably there's sth. wrong with G8 essentials...

This is not specific to G8. It happens with every figure.

edited May 31

I am still experiencing this issue, despite now being several versions of DS on. Any wearable preset that is supposed to also load a pose does not load the pose, and it's still only fixable by editing the files.

I can *prove* the files have pose data in them if I edit them, but it does not work normally and I very much doubt every single product is dodgy without anyone doing anything about it.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
    edited June 1

It seemed that no one else had reported the same issue since the OP was posted. I know that "Wearable Preset with Pose" are not frequently used by most of people but this issue seems odd.

I've just revisited these assets from the product as well as the presets saved by me, I still couldn't find any clue about why it didn't work on your side. Maybe you can try with a fresh installation on another PC if that is possible...

Besides, what did you edit in DUF file to make it work ?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851

A "Wearable" preset is what conforming clothing is saved as, so loading it with the base figure selected means any pose data is probably being ignored, as the bone data will be coming directly from the base figure.

If you load the preset into an empty scene does the pose data work ?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,067

Bejaymac said:

A "Wearable" preset is what conforming clothing is saved as, so loading it with the base figure selected means any pose data is probably being ignored, as the bone data will be coming directly from the base figure.

If you load the preset into an empty scene does the pose data work ?

A Wearables preset can be anything that was parented to the figure, props a well as fitted items (and fitted items that were not parented will not be included). A Wearables preset may also include properties for the "wearer" - the item to which things are parented - as selected in the various tabs of the options dialogue.

crosswind said:

Besides, what did you edit in DUF file to make it work ?

If I decompress a "wearable with pose" file (assuming it needs decompressing) and edit the "type" line from "wearable" to "preset_pose", then the pose can then be applied to the main figure, reasonably proving that these files do indeed contain valid pose data.

However, the posing on all prop items included in the wearable preset does not then work, so it is not a universal workaround.

Given that a lot of poses or prop loads are actually wearable type files (e.g. "here is a pose with an associated prop", or "here is a held item, and we'll also pose the hand to hold it"), this means a lot of things do not work correctly. And I have verified with other people that the exact same assets work fine on their systems (for example, I tested ChangelingChick's https://www.daz3d.com/cc-angelic-accoutrements product, and she confirmed that the sword prop loads are also supposed to pose the hand, but it does not on my system).

When any wearable preset contains pose data (and I think shaping data too, now I think about it), the pose does not apply in any circumstance on my installation - any base figure, any morphs, any product, whether it's a product or something I saved, fresh restart, in the main release or the beta. Every preset, every time.

I'm certain the problem is specific to my installation, but I really, really don't want to have to rip the entire installation out and start over and lose every other setting to nuke whatever one mysterious parameter is causing this issue, so I'm hoping someone can tell me how to precisely excise the problem.

Having just said that, I have suddenly had a breakthrough that explains the issue.

The wearables presets are always applying their pose data at frame 0. If for whatever reason you're on a different frame with its own keyframes (say, because you normally work with a default scene that's set to load at Frame 30 in order to have some free timeline to run dForce sims, because DS doesn't allow the timeline to be extended into negative values to add time before the scene), this means nothing appears to happen when you load the preset, because the pose has not replaced the current keyframe, but created a new one.

My recommendation is that DS needs to be updated to change it so that wearables presets apply their pose data to (or starting from) the current frame, in accordance with how all other pose/animation preset keyframes are normally applied.

Oh ! It was good for you to find out the culprit. You didn't mention that you applied it at a non 0 frame..so that we could've tested it but I didn't know either that a Wearable + Pose Preset would not 100% work on non 0 frame 'cause ususally we do it before making animation... It was a good discovery !

But I do know that DS checks File Type for some behaviors of loading various Presets... For instance, not like Pose Preset, when loading H.Pose Preset and Wearable + Pose Preset, it never checks Rotation Limits... So that was why I ever suggested people change "type" in DUF file of these two types of Presets to "preset_pose" .

But your case is pretty unique. And I agree with you that DS needs to revisit these issue to make some proper change or enhance these mechanics more logically ...

crosswind said:

You didn't mention that you applied it at a non 0 frame

Because it never even occurred that it could be a factor until it twigged that might be the problem.

Everything else that applies pose data applies it to (or starting from) the current frame and it's incredibly counterintuitive for wearable presets to not apply their data in the same way.