Encapsulation in Daz3D scenes

Hello,

I have been exploring Daz3D Studio and have a question. I have a character which I would like to use across multiple scenes.

1) I would like to be able to design my character then save it (e.g. add hair, and clothes).

2) Import my design into several scenes where I can pose it

3) Be able to update the original character design (e.g. change hair for another hair) and then open up my scenes (and scene subsets) that I have imported the original character design into and see the new hair style reflected in there immeadiately.

Is this something that is possible in Daz3D Studio? I have heard about scene subsets, however when testing this out by changing the hair style, I did not see that reflected in another scene subset that imported the original one. Is there another feature that can do what I am looking for, or am I using scene subsets wrong and it should be possible, or is this something that is just not possible in the software and I have just wishful thinking?

Comments

• Saving a Scene Subset, from the File>Save as sub menu, will let you save the character but when you merge it into a scene it will not preserve a link to the subset, so it won't update in response to changes. As far as I know that behaviour is not available in DS - it might be possible to emulate it via a script, using some variant on the post-load system.

• Thanks very much for the information, thats very useful to know. If the link is not preserved to the subset, it sounds like it would be difficult to create a script that would do it post load potentially, but thats fine. I might look at the scripting side later and see if I am wrong, but even if I'm not, being aware that I cannot do this will help me plan my scenes appropriately.

Thanks very much for the very helpful reply, its saved me many hours/days of experimenting smiley

• Well, my (very vague) idea was to have a script created on merging the scene subset that would hook abnother script up, with a list of items and the date, and then on reopening the scene it would check to see if the source file had been updated and if it had it would replace the current elements. I'm not sure how practical that would be, or how robust (e.g. in the case of making manual edits to the linked items). There are examples of post load scripts if your skills do lay in that direction http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#post-load_data_items

• I write code and scripts for my dayjob, so hopefully I have some skills that will transfer smiley

Thank you for the link, I will take a look through and see if I can do what I want with it

• Oh yes, that function does look more detailed than I initially suspected, so it may do what I was hoping for wheen scripted smiley