New to Daz and would appreciate some help in understanding these products.

I'm new to Daz and I'm trying to wrap my head around how things work. I want to work on a short animation project, a cartoon of sorts. I initially thought about making the characters in Character Creator. I see it can import assets from Daz as well. I'm not sure I can do the full character creation from scratch in Daz or what would be the advantages. Somebody just recommended me Character Creator. I found some products on the Daz site, but I have questions about them and I see no ways of contacting the vendor to ask. So I thoought maybe more experienced Daz users here could help? My intention was to get this suit, to use with a character created in Character Creator .

For example this product: No Suit for Genesis 8 Male(s) | Daz 3D

I'm not sure if this is a "suit generator" or just that one suit. The description reads as if you can create any tight suit with it. But the photos show the same suit, just in different colors. Maybe because I'm new to Daz there may be some feature/use case I don't understand. But is that a suit generator or just that one piece of "clothing"?

And this is a full 3D model, right? Urban Future 6 | Daz 3D

I aske because of the price. I'm used to buying 3D assets from other vendors such as TS and it seems quite a low price for a full 3D model. 

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The No Suit ias an add-on for the Genesis 8 male, which is part of the free content included with Daz Studio - it is a set of morphs (blend shapes) and GeoGrafts (add-on mesh that can replace part of the base mesh - e.g. for removing the ears) plus textures. Most store content is for one or more figures - morphs, textures, or figues that simply add to the figure and follow its poses for clothes or hair.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

Urban future 6 is a complete environment set with fully textured 3D models.

Regarding prices, they are indeed quite low compared to stores like TurboSquid. One of the main reasons is that the license you get for that price is not the same: with the standard Daz 3D license you can use the models to create still images and animations for commercial purposes, but for example you're not allowed to use the 3D model itself in a game (you need the additional interactive license for that) or create 3D prints for commercial use (you need the additional 3D printing license for that).

• Vx2023Vx2023 Posts: 10

Leana said:

Regarding prices, they are indeed quite low compared to stores like TurboSquid. One of the main reasons is that the license you get for that price is not the same: with the standard Daz 3D license you can use the models to create still images and animations for commercial purposes, but for example you're not allowed to use the 3D model itself in a game (you need the additional interactive license for that) or create 3D prints for commercial use (you need the additional 3D printing license for thThanat).

Thanks. Regarding the standard license, what about use it in a commerical animation film? Meaning cartoon. And are you allowed to modify the assets to make your own custom asset, kit bashing and that type of thing?

Richard Haseltine said:

The No Suit ias an add-on for the Genesis 8 male, which is part of the free content included with Daz Studio - it is a set of morphs (blend shapes) and GeoGrafts (add-on mesh that can replace part of the base mesh - e.g. for removing the ears) plus textures. Most store content is for one or more figures - morphs, textures, or figues that simply add to the figure and follow its poses for clothes or hair.

Thanks. But so the morphs can be used to create your own suit and you are locked into the one sample? It has a leather structure and seams etc. 

Once I make it for the Gen 8 figure, it behaves like clothing right? I think you can export clothing from Daz to Character Creator and fit in a Character created there. So it's the case with the suit as well?

• Vx2023 said:

Leana said:

Regarding prices, they are indeed quite low compared to stores like TurboSquid. One of the main reasons is that the license you get for that price is not the same: with the standard Daz 3D license you can use the models to create still images and animations for commercial purposes, but for example you're not allowed to use the 3D model itself in a game (you need the additional interactive license for that) or create 3D prints for commercial use (you need the additional 3D printing license for thThanat).

Thanks. Regarding the standard license, what about use it in a commerical animation film? Meaning cartoon. And are you allowed to modify the assets to make your own custom asset, kit bashing and that type of thing?

Yes, with one or two exceptions (the old Anne Marie Goddard Digitial Clone for Victoria 3, Flipped Normals products are the only ones I recall) store products can be used commercially in 2D output - that includes videos. And yes, you can modify them at will for that.

• Vx2023 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The No Suit ias an add-on for the Genesis 8 male, which is part of the free content included with Daz Studio - it is a set of morphs (blend shapes) and GeoGrafts (add-on mesh that can replace part of the base mesh - e.g. for removing the ears) plus textures. Most store content is for one or more figures - morphs, textures, or figues that simply add to the figure and follow its poses for clothes or hair.

Thanks. But so the morphs can be used to create your own suit and you are locked into the one sample? It has a leather structure and seams etc. 

I don't have the product, but you coudl certainly change the textures - however, the basic UV mapping would still be human, as far as I can see, so it probably wouldn't take a tiling fabric swatch nicely.

Once I make it for the Gen 8 figure, it behaves like clothing right? I think you can export clothing from Daz to Character Creator and fit in a Character created there. So it's the case with the suit as well?

In the case of the No Suit I'm not sure how it would export - GeoGrafts are not suported directly in most other applications.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406
    edited January 2023

Vx2023 said:

Leana said:

Commercial animation would be fine with the standard license.

There is a handful of products with a more restrictive license but it should be clearly stated on the product page.

You can definitely modify or kitbash the assets to use them in your image or animation (that's the most fun part IMO). You can't distribute the modified asset afterwards though, only your image or animation.

Be aware that when you see a "character" product in the store what is sold is morphs and textures for one of the base figures, but for example hair and clothes are generally not included. If there are some included it will be specifically listed on the product page.

Post edited by Leana on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

The product description for No Suit says; "will instantly make him appear to be wearing tight fitting spandex", ie this is meant for making the body look like the character was wearing a tight fitting suit (superhero spandex) and the "suit" is actually 'painted' on the body of the character.

Richard Haseltine said:

Vx2023 said:

Leana said:

Yes, with one or two exceptions (the old Anne Marie Goddard Digitial Clone for Victoria 3, Flipped Normals products are the only ones I recall) store products can be used commercially in 2D output - that includes videos. And yes, you can modify them at will for that.

Thanks. This is great to know. It doesn't matter the type of assest right? Buildings and whole environments, vehicles, clothing. I can use it all for commercial videos and I can modify them all? 

• Vx2023 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Vx2023 said:

Leana said:

Thanks. This is great to know. It doesn't matter the type of assest right? Buildings and whole environments, vehicles, clothing. I can use it all for commercial videos and I can modify them all? 

Yes.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,914

Leana said:

Regarding prices, they are indeed quite low compared to stores like TurboSquid. One of the main reasons is that the license you get for that price is not the same: with the standard Daz 3D license you can use the models to create still images and animations for commercial purposes, but for example you're not allowed to use the 3D model itself in a game (you need the additional interactive license for that) or create 3D prints for commercial use (you need the additional 3D printing license for that).

Fortunately, even adding the interactive and 3D printing license will typically keep the price of an item well below what you'd pay for a comparable item on TurboSquid.

PerttiA said:

The product description for No Suit says; "will instantly make him appear to be wearing tight fitting spandex", ie this is meant for making the body look like the character was wearing a tight fitting suit (superhero spandex) and the "suit" is actually 'painted' on the body of the character.

Thanks. Ok, so this means there is no actual suit, as in no actual suit mesh? 

edited January 2023

Double post

Post edited by Vx2023 on

Leana said:

Vx2023 said:

Leana said:

Commercial animation would be fine with the standard license.

There is a handful of products with a more restrictive license but it should be clearly stated on the product page.

You can definitely modify or kitbash the assets to use them in your image or animation (that's the most fun part IMO). You can't distribute the modified asset afterwards though, only your image or animation.

Be aware that when you see a "character" product in the store what is sold is morphs and textures for one of the base figures, but for example hair and clothes are generally not included. If there are some included it will be specifically listed on the product page.

Thanks. This is good to know.

What I'm trying to do is develop custom characters for a short animation project. But since I'm not a modeler, I'm trying to find ways of doing that without modeling from scratch. So basically starting from already existing figures where I can easily customized to make them look like I need and make them "my own". In the end I would need fully rigged and finished characters with hair and clothing all working, where I could import into either Blender or Unreal Engine and use pre-made animations to animate them.

I was recommended Character Creator for this. And it can do most of what I need. But I found Daz has many assets which might be useful. So I will be buying many assets from Daz. Not only for the characters but also for the sets.  I was told Character Creator would be easier than Daz to do the characters and export to Blender/UE. But I get the feeling from looking around I could just use Daz studio as well, without any disadvantage?

Richard Haseltine said:

Vx2023 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I don't have the product, but you coudl certainly change the textures - however, the basic UV mapping would still be human, as far as I can see, so it probably wouldn't take a tiling fabric swatch nicely.

In the case of the No Suit I'm not sure how it would export - GeoGrafts are not suported directly in most other applications.

What would you say would be the easiest way to make a skin tight type of suit then? If this can't be exported to Character Creator. The character is human. But it will be shaped differently than the Gen 8 figure, as it is a figure from Character Creator.  It has a more cartoon shape rather than the realistic muscular shape in the No-suit page. I was thinking of just painting the suit on the body mesh of the character. But then there will be no foldings etc and may look too fake. I like the No-suit, if I don't have to stick with the design and seams on the demo page, and if I can export it to Character Creator.