Insert an inline image to forum posts

StargazeyStargazey Posts: 244
edited January 2023 in New Users

I'm sure this has been asked before, but could someone explain to me how to insert an image into a post, (for example for competions,) rather than just inserting a thumbnail, which has to be clicked on to open the full size image. 

I have found a tutorial with about a dozen steps, with endless copying and pasting of URLs etc, but surely there must be another/easier way?

(In another forum I use, you just upload the image and hit an "insert" button!)

Many thanks for any help.

Post edited by Stargazey on

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,784

No magic insert button unfortunately.

Basically you do the bit you already have to attach the image and post your message. Then you right-click on the attachement and "Copy Link" (or equivalivent in your browser). Then if you hover over your post a little cog pops up in the top-right, click that and select edit from the menu. In the edit screen put your cursor in the location where you want your in-line image to go and click the button in the toolbar with the sun over the mountain, paste your link into the URL field and 800 into the width field and click OK. Then post/update your message.

That should get it in there - if it looks a bit stretched then it maybe that you had the padlock next to the width unlocked. For me this defaults to on so I don't need to touch it.

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 244

Many thanks for your help. Not that difficult, when you know how, but a bit difficult to figure out from scratch!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

Basically, you need an URL to your image so you can use an "image" tag in your post. 

If you're attaching your image to your post you need to submit your post with the attachment first so that your image is uploaded to the forums. Then you can use the link to that attachment in an "image" tag when editing your post.