[SOLVED] About clothes (and heels, since I expect a problem) and parenting for poses

arthenicsarthenics Posts: 143
edited February 2023 in New Users

Hello,

I'm playing around with Daz, Genesis figures and Blender and... Whatever I try, I can't manage to make the clothings I've created following the body.

In Blender, parenting clothings to the skeleton is mostly automatic (if topology is right, everything is going fine, just a few shape keys are needed for adjustements, only heels can become a problem since it more or less needs two skeletons -one "rest no heels", one "rest with heels"). But in Daz, despite some video tutorials (with which I'm not really comfortable) clothings never follow the genesis body. 

Any hint, tips?

Post edited by arthenics on

Comments

• Are you parenting or fitting (probably using the Transfer Utility to rig)?

• arthenicsarthenics Posts: 143
    edited December 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you parenting or fitting (probably using the Transfer Utility to rig)?

Well... I'm not sure to understand what you mean.

From what' I've seen in a video, the clothes are imported and an operation is done, in Daz, on the geometry, afterwards. But... the video is already six years old and the pop-up window it shows never appears.

At this step, I don't know if I should parent in Blender, before, or not. In Blender parenting means "parenting clothes to skeleton" and then we can animate, change poses but... parenting and fitting in Daz sound to have different meaning. Currently, I really don't see at all what steps I should follow in Daz to get the same result. Fitting appears for the figure (I mean the genesis character) but it can't find the clothings (for which no fitting option appears).

EDIT : Ok, I've tested again, I see what you mean about the Transfer Utility. But now the scales and rotations are messed up. I guess I have to change the parameters in Blender during export.

EDIT 2 : Still messed up, whatever transfer parameters I'm using... Everything is properly displayed after import but transfer mess up things. I have no "ghost" from Blender since all transforms are applied and there's no "parents". But Transfer Utility change scales, rotations... Despair.

EDIT 3 : My bad... OK that's just it doesn't like clothings exported as FBX. Only wavefront format works fine. But... heels broke...

Post edited by arthenics on
  • High heels are a problem as they are not uniformly close to the same part of the figure, so the weight-projection gives undesirable results. Transfer utility gives a starting point, but then the weightmaps will need editing - especially where the fitted item is far from the figure or where two parts of the figure might either be taken as a source for the projected weights, or where there is a transition (the midline on skirts or dresses, the crotch on trousers, the upper sleeves if loose). This is a job for the Node Weightmap brush tool. Some areas will also need morphs linked to the bends to keep them neat.

• Richard Haseltine said:

High heels are a problem as they are not uniformly close to the same part of the figure, so the weight-projection gives undesirable results. Transfer utility gives a starting point, but then the weightmaps will need editing - especially where the fitted item is far from the figure or where two parts of the figure might either be taken as a source for the projected weights, or where there is a transition (the midline on skirts or dresses, the crotch on trousers, the upper sleeves if loose). This is a job for the Node Weightmap brush tool. Some areas will also need morphs linked to the bends to keep them neat.

Yeah, I'm already kinda used to it since it's always a problem. It's a real mess in Blender too. Everything would be fine if rest pose was the one with heels but it needs two skeletons. That explains a lot why, in games, and MMO, they most of time create "fixed" champions or make "heels only" footwear for women. The struggles just start. Anyway, thanks for the hint. The reference to "Transfer Utility" has provided a direction.