Octane for Daz and Macs

I noticed online a day or so back that Octane render had released a stand alone version for silicone based Macs. So in my ignorance I thought i would give it a go, and now have it sitting on my drive. Cant use it becasue I am too stupid to figure out how. Then I noticed a free version of Octane render for DS, so having the latest version of studio, and the Octane kit being free I decided to give that a try, and guess what, I cant get it to work at all. I manually install all my content and am certain that every element in the download package is correctly installed but when I try to render with it it doesnt appear.

I know about going to help and checking installed plug ins and so on, but Octane does not appear in the list. So what am I doing wrong or better still, what do I have to do to get Octane on my machine. I have also tried to use Daz central to load the thing, and have even set up Daz connect which I never ever use simply in an attempt to get hold of Octane. Thing is I have no idea how good the results might be with Octane, but I would like to find out. 

Any help or advice would be great, thanks....

Comments

• The free Octane Render Kit comes with a 4-Part tutorial on how to use it in Octane that IIRC also explains porting from studio into octane as well!

There are 4 installers for the product total:
    1 = Actual Shader Product
    2 = Videos 1&2
    3 = Video 3
    4 = Video 4

• My thanks Elliandra and I have watched the first of these videos as you suggets I should. The problem is as I actually mentioned that I knew about going into hel and finding the installed plug ins and then activating Octane. However I cannot find Octane by that method. I attach screen shots to show what I mean. As shown the SS from the video clealry shows Octane, the SS from my version of studio 4.21.0.5 does not show Octane. From this I asume that despite manually adding every file included with the download in the correct locations, somehow it has failed to install. I tried to install using Central, a process I find tedious and so slow I lose the will to live while waiting. And I dont use install manager ever, so what could I be doing that is wrong...

I am not arrogant enough to think that this is anything other than my fault, but I install everything I have in my own custom content library with no problems...

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 17.33.05.png
    572 x 437 - 124K
    Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 17.34.09.png
    567 x 473 - 49K
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,717

I only ask this because you mention installing via DAZ Central and DM. If the Mac version of the plugin is similar to the PC version, it should have it's own installer or installation process that doesn't use DM or Central. It sounds as if you installed the stand alone version of Octane, that version will not work as the plugin for DS. You will need to download and install the plugin for DS from Otoy, it's a different product than the stand alone renderer. Octane Render Kit only provides some shaders and lights to use with the plugin, not the plugin.

Sorry if you already knew all of this, I'm just trying to cover all the possibilities, and your description of the install process is much different than what I've experience on a PC. The Mac process could be different, so I thought I'd just check to make sure you installed the DS plugin from Otoy, and not just the stand alone version of Octane (yes, it's a bit confusing for new users).

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,914

At least on Windows, the Octane plugin for DS absolutely requires an Nvidia GPU.

• Thanks for your help with this. I think that despite having obtained a free Octane app from the app store ( macs only ) that probably only works for GPU and as I only have CPU theres no way to use it anyway. Your right about the DAZ Octane kit of course, on reflection I should have realised its simpy shaders and stuff for use with the plug in itself. So its back to using the totally acceptable Iray rendering, which while slow ish gives great results. The only way to be able to render faster is probably to get a Windows machine or a compatible Mac if there is such a thing, and I am not switching to Windows, and canot aford to do that anyway...

So thanks again and back to Iray....