Need help

edited November 2022 in New Users

I'm trying to apply (anatomical elements) to a model. The new part shows up in the model as it should, but the original part isn't replaced so they're both showing. I'm guessing I've changed some setyting somewhere, but I have no idea what. Can anyone help with this?

(Image removed by mod for nudity. Please repost with untextered skin, body part renamed)

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing: you added the Daz original "private parts" to a figure and they show up in grey. Then you tried to re-apply the character skin and yet the naughty bits stay grey, that's essentially your problem, right?  Just trying to make sure I understand you correctly and in a family friendly way.

Yah, it's very likely that this is actually by design. Not every artist bothers themselves to texture the "naughty bits" of a character as well, many leave this add-on for what it is and ignore it. But you have options...  one option is to turn to a 3rd party website which sells "naughty stuff" for Daz characters. If you really want to go this path then I'd personally recommend it because with all due respect to Daz 3D... their anatomy add-ons are nice, but not exactly that great either. At least not in comparison.

Of course lets not forget that this part isn't exactly something Daz 3D is really interested in, though they do use some of the appeal to sell their items ;)  Anyway, a bit offtopic.

Another option... is to fix this for yourself. If you get a program like, say, Substance Painter then there's little stopping you from moving your character + add on into Substance Painter, applying the original textures after which you simply copy some relevant parts and apply those to the anatomy add-on. Although I don't cover the "copying a texture" I did write a guide on how to texture Genesis in Substance Painter and shared it on Steam (see link).

Why Steam? Because that's where Adobe are also selling it ;)  So no expensive subscriptions needed either.  Apologies if I now sound like a sales drone but... you can easily forget about ever buying a texture pack again when you got Painter in your toolkit (and don't get me started on 'Designer' either).  Reason I mention it is because I'm actually looking into this option myself. Remember me mentioning "naughty 3rd party websites"? Some of the authors there wrote scripts for Daz Studio that can actually do this: set up a shell around the character and then copying relevant parts of the original texture and applying that to an anatomy add-on. Unfortunately that doesn't always last across different project sessions, but even so...  it's doable. And it's also doable in Painter, which would provide a more permanent solution.

Now, this isn't exactly an easy solution I suppose but it'll work. Not to mention that something like Painter can be useful for so much other stuff as well...

Hope this could give you some ideas.

• Make sure you don't have the geometry editor tool selected.
  • Or do you mean that the geoGraft is not hiding the skin underneath? If so, which tool is active (Tools menu)?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Or do you mean that the geoGraft is not hiding the skin underneath? If so, which tool is active (Tools menu)?

This is exactly what I mean, though I'm not sure what the tool manu is. Could the answer be geometry editor?

• Yes, the Geometry Editor causes all geometry to show, even if it would otherwise be hidden by a GeoGraft, so that it can be selected. if you switch to a regular posing tool the mesh should vanish. There are a few tools that do this (MeshGrabber is another).

• That was it, also sorted out a bunch of other problems I've been having, thank for the help.