Trying to convert .obj character from a video game to G8

Hello everybody,

I've been using Daz for a month now and I was wondering how I can convert a character I extracted from a game to G8 so that I can use them for fan art renders and wallpapers.

The character mesh comes with clothing already attached to the body so I don't know if that's a problem but I managed to save it as an obj file. Everything from the materials to the vertices are different fom the base Genesis 8 female. 

I hope this describes well enough what I'm trying to do. Also I used Blender to extract the model and saved it as an obj.

Thanks.

Comments

• Don't forget that the license terms for the game may be an insuperable obstacle.

This isn't really possible - a morph can't be a different mesh, and if it isn't broadly the same shape as the base figure you can't really use the Transfer Utility.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598

Are you trying to use it with Genesis or on it's own?  

Richard is right that you have to be careful with licensing but in my experience most game companies don't get upset if you do stuff for personal use only. 

If you have an object file with the character does it contain the rigging? If so you could pose it withing DS and use it that way. I'm not sure why you mention Genesis. Are you trying to make a morph? Because that won't work as the vertices on the model are different.

What game is it from? Is there a reason you wish to use DS for the fan art instead of Blender? 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,417

same process as this 

• Thank you for replying. I have a pdf with the game's EULA that I use to refer just to avoid getting myself in trouble.

The obj does not have rigging. I was wondering If there's a way to transfer rigging from a G8 character or I'd have to do it from scratch.The game is Rogue Company and the reason I'm mentioning Genesis 8 is because I saw a characer from the game as a G8F model on Deviantart.

I choose Daz over Blender because I have more assets in Daz.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Trying to convert .obj character from a video game

The proper technical term is "wrap" G8 onto a character from a video game (process of snapping vertices from a source onto a reference, while attempting to keep the density/avoid the stretching of polygons).

Best tool nowadays to wrap Genesis's base resolution wireframe onto anything is : R3DS Wrap (there are similar tools in Blender for that too, but R3DS is just the King of that specific niche in the 3D market).

https://www.russian3dscanner.com/

A few videos about the full process on YT, here is just a timelapse to give you an idea. This will enable you to morph the geometry (wrap) and project textures onto the UDIM UVs of Daz Genesis (2,3,8,9, whatever) :

This way, you can turn your Genesis into literally anything.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Technically that's deconstruction of proprietary property and game companies used to go after people big time over however they have relaxed this because of how prevalent it's become and prosecute license violations like selling the rerigged designs for prophet. Probably was just too much of thier time to go after the little guys.
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited October 2023

This isn't possible. You could technically construct your own skeleton in Studio but the clothing wouldn't bend correctly, poses would all have to be manual and you'd still have the issue of creating your own materials. Bit of a mess. Bear in mind that game characters won't have any underlying body geometry beneath the clothing either - any excess polygons are culled at the modelling stage.

If I wanted to do this I'd have a look and see if any of the available characters in the store looked reasonably close to the character I wanted to recreate. Doesn't have to be perfect, but same ethnicity, same kind of skin, that sort of thing. Then I'd grab something like https://www.daz3d.com/200-plus-head-and-face-morphs-for-genesis-8-female-s or https://www.daz3d.com/200-plus-head-and-face-morphs-for-genesis-8-male-s , import the .obj and switch between the two recreating the character myself on the G8 base using morphs. (I am assuming this character is vaguely human!)

That way you have all the facilities, hair, poses, clothing and props of G8 available to you. I'd be surprised if you couldn't reconstruct a close match to whatever outfit that character has with items from the store as well. Might involve a bit of creative repurposing but I'm sure it could be done. It won't be exact, no, but that also shifts in your favour as there is very little chance that any company's legal team would cast their beady eye on you.

If you're looking for a one-click solution then, sadly, no. There isn't one. Making your own character would be more challenging but ultimately much, much more useful. Possibly more satisfying too :)

(Edit: Not being familiar with this IP, I had a quick look and there isn't a single character that I could see that couldn't be recreated by morphing a G8F or G8M and getting the clothing, props and hairstyles from the store. If Daz doesn't have it (they almost certainly do), other places will. The only character that would require extra effort is the blue-faced guy, and his pixelly visage could be knocked up in Photoshop or equivalent in half an hour or so and applied to the Face surface.)

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

As these are usually about morphing the head to resemble some character, one can do that also manually in Blender with the basic tools. The head doesn't have that many vertices.