Getting on the 9 train, or not

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,500

Ghosty12 said:

Torquinox said:

nicstt said:

So not been about for ages and have no real plans to come back unless G10 is different.

Any rumours about G10?

I expect G10 would be somehow connected with DS5. Yet, DS5 increasingly looks like vaporware. So, only DAZ knows.

With the sudden out of nowhere implementation of Daz AI Studio. One does wonder whether we will see Daz Studio 5 at all, since it has been just total radio silence from Daz about it.

This is noisy radio silence http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log - though I imagine things thata re exclusive to DS5, rather than being possible to add to DS 4 along the way, may be less obvious.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,189

Richard Haseltine said:

With the sudden out of nowhere implementation of Daz AI Studio. One does wonder whether we will see Daz Studio 5 at all, since it has been just total radio silence from Daz about it.

This is noisy radio silence http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log - though I imagine things thata re exclusive to DS5, rather than being possible to add to DS 4 along the way, may be less obvious.

As you well know, DS4 is based on now-very-old QT4 framework, and adding features to it is not the same as actually releasing DS5, which should be some sort of disruptive watershed event - if it ever happens. I'm pleased to see DS4 is still being developed because I'm sure DS5 will break a lot of scripts and support products, though it should also bring new features of its own. There may also be new learning curve and a teething process, but no one here actually knows - Probably not even you. The silence on DS5 remains deafening.

Torquinox said:

Richard Haseltine said:

As you well know, DS4 is based on now-very-old QT4 framework, and adding features to it is not the same as actually releasing DS5, which should be some sort of disruptive watershed event - if it ever happens. I'm pleased to see DS4 is still being developed because I'm sure DS5 will break a lot of scripts and support products, though it should also bring new features of its own. There may also be new learning curve and a teething process, but no one here actually knows - Probably not even you. The silence on DS5 remains deafening.

We get a certain amount of information from a source in order to reply to forum queries, so some of what we post is reliable. The chnage log should tell you that Qt is being replaced, though as far as I know it iss till the case that DS5 will chnage the SDK and so break plugins (and the Qt changes may also break scripts, though I don't know to what extent that was the case or whether it has been ameliorated since).

Fair enough, Richard. Thank you.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957

I would love to see DS5 as a separate entity from DS4 as there are still some glaring UI issues such as with the scene tab; while it does allow for items to be moved freely on the tree, unfortunately it's real finicky, if you're one milli-fraction off while selecting an item, you end up parenting said item somewhere else on the tree…

Next is the all-page-consuming menu that takes up the entirety of the screen whenever you have more items in the scene than the menu can handle, so it pukes up the entirety of components that make the scene right up on your screen, as it's a sectionless mess where all items are massed together without any structure to contain the components.

A solution for the scene tab would be to keep it's functionality of the drag-and-drop system, yet with separators for each item that require a registered click, and drag system, instead of a loose dragging system as we have now.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited May 20

Torquinox said:

nicstt said:

So not been about for ages and have no real plans to come back unless G10 is different.

Any rumours about G10?

I expect G10 would be somehow connected with DS5. Yet, DS5 increasingly looks like vaporware. So, only DAZ knows.

...."vapourware", now that's a word i haven't heard in a long time. 

[IBM OS/2 veteran]

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

Richard Haseltine said:

Torquinox said:

Richard Haseltine said:

We get a certain amount of information from a source in order to reply to forum queries, so some of what we post is reliable. The chnage log should tell you that Qt is being replaced, though as far as I know it iss till the case that DS5 will chnage the SDK and so break plugins (and the Qt changes may also break scripts, though I don't know to what extent that was the case or whether it has been ameliorated since).

Thank you for the info, will be interesting to see to what extent Daz Studio 5 when it comes breaks Daz Studio 4 scripts and plugins.

• rcourtri_789f4b1c6brcourtri_789f4b1c6b Posts: 254
    edited May 20

Torquinox said:

They released Genesis 9 without releasing DS5. No reason to think that character generations are necessarily tied to Das Studio versions with integer numbering.

Version numbers are entirely a decision of a program's developer and publisher.  Daz Studio 5.0 could be released at any time.  Anything new, no matter how trivial or useless ("Daz Studio 5.0--Now with omnipresent promotional banners!") could be used to explain a new version.  Similarly, major developments could be in a new version still numbered DS 4.xx  We can be sure that the release of DS5 would replace forum commentary about how DS5 never seems to appear with complaints about how unsatisfying the changes are.  Then again, I could be surprised and DS5.0 solves every significant problem and eliminates numerous limitations in one fell swoop.  No way for us to know what to expect from uncommunicative (except for sales pitches) companies.

We don't know how many people Daz/Tafi has working on development or what their development priorities are.  Nor do we know how much of the available development resources are consumed by simply maintaining functionality within Windows or other operating systems, as well as keeping up with what nVidia has done with Iray. Obviously, bridges to other applications encourage sales of content for use in apps that Daz/Tafi didn't develop themselves. So, you may well see a bridge to Microsoft Excel (with Victoria 9, hair, dForce wardrobe, props,  background environment, and a composite image rendered in separate tiny rectangles, either as rows or columns) before Daz Studio 5.0.

Post edited by rcourtri_789f4b1c6b on

kyoto kid said:

...."vapourware", now that's a word i haven't heard in a long time. 

[IBM OS/2 veteran]

I see what you did there, Kyoto Wan laugh 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,973
    They keep updating DS 4 betas, which I believe are steps toward DS 5 without totally breaking DS 4.
  • alienareaalienarea Posts: 522

johnjohn808 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

johnjohn808 said:

I gave it a fair shot and spent a small fortune of G9 stuff. But those unnatural looking bend, and wierd armpits make me return to 8.1 because it doesn`t look like they are interested in fixing it.

on the bends, was Base Joint Correctives set to 100%?

PA`s are now pumping out mostly G9 stuff here, so I have been giving most of my money to RH as most there are still making 8/8.1 assets and not hopping on the G9 train.

Yeah the bends look ok with clothes on, but I only make adult art so other than hight heels, my characters detest wearing clothes wink

Thanks RIchard, yes its enabled. 

All of the 6 which originally came turned off are turned on by default after one of the updates.

FACS  Detail Strength - 100%
    Eye Resting Focal Point - 100% 
    Eye Look Automatic - 100%
    Body Pose Detail Strength - 100%
    Flexion Automatic Strength - 100%
    Base Joint Correctives - 100%

I think it`s just G9`s anatomy design. 

I fully agree.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,870

If you humans would stop resisting and just surrender to the videodrome, then the transition would be almost seamless.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,802

Ghosty12 said:

Torquinox said:

nicstt said:

Any rumours about G10?

not sure I even want to see DS5 anymore, with the possibility of it changing up everything and having to buy a ton of new product that will work within it. I'm not willing to jump on that train for sure. The bit about G9 being less than cooperative with other generations sucks enough as it is.  

daveso said:

Ghosty12 said:

Torquinox said:

nicstt said:

Any rumours about G10?

not sure I even want to see DS5 anymore, with the possibility of it changing up everything and having to buy a ton of new product that will work within it. I'm not willing to jump on that train for sure. The bit about G9 being less than cooperative with other generations sucks enough as it is.  

Plug-ins were said to be in need of new versions, whether those will be free, upgrades, or full nw vesions will probably depend on the PA and how complex the conversion is. Some scripts may also require updating, though not necessarily all. Theer is no reason to expect that content will have issues if it doesn't depend on either of those.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,740

Richard Haseltine said:

daveso said:

Ghosty12 said:

Torquinox said:

nicstt said:

Any rumours about G10?

Plug-ins were said to be in need of new versions, whether those will be free, upgrades, or full nw vesions will probably depend on the PA and how complex the conversion is. Some scripts may also require updating, though not necessarily all. Theer is no reason to expect that content will have issues if it doesn't depend on either of those.

I don't like how updating the plugin for figure metrics to work with newer versions has made it stop working with my older version. I wish they could have issued a warning to not update it or something. 

Let's make it 59.

NylonGirl said:

Richard Haseltine said:

daveso said:

Ghosty12 said:

Torquinox said:

nicstt said:

Any rumours about G10?

I don't like how updating the plugin for figure metrics to work with newer versions has made it stop working with my older version. I wish they could have issued a warning to not update it or something. 

Let's make it 59.

The Daz own-brand plug-ins always get recompiled 9and possibly updated) for the current build. PAs, who do not have access to the revised SDK versions, usually don't need recompiling and so will work with any version of DS that has the needed features (where those are accessible via a non-SDK route, since anything using only SDK calls should - as far as I know - work in any post-4.5 version)

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171

Been on the 9 Train for some time and have the following rants:

(1) Translucency weight of G9 affects the skin way more than G8. Too high I got skin like that poor girl who got sucked into the pillar in Hellraiser. Too low I got a ghost.

(2) A transmitted color which is not leaning towards cool tone gives strong yellow/orange tint to the figure especially around the eye rims and the philtrum, even if your diffiuse and translucency skin maps are nowhere leaning towards yellow/orange. In order to compensate for this I had to use a cool toned pink (almost magenta) as transmitted color which my common sense kept telling me that's not quite biologically correct.

(3) If you use the clone method to transfer G8M characters to G9, the underb**b area will give you nightmare. G9M has nipples lower than G8M, combining with that infamous G9M underb**b crease the chest of the transferred character looks crazy. Also don't get me started on those cone-shaped nipples...

(4) The eyes. Eyeballs as a prop which is not affected by the character morph is a plus, giving you more precise scaling/position control to eliminate the space between the eyeball and eye rims. But the shaping/transition from the iris to the sclera gives the illusion of a bright ring around the iris and than from there the sclera quickly becomes much darker towards the edge of the eyes, even if I use chevybabe and dimensiontheory's products. I don't think this is better than that infamous visible separation of the iris and sclera on G8. And I actually think that under the same lighting, G8 eyes reacts to light better than G9.

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,250

(4) The eyes. Eyeballs as a prop which is not affected by the character morph is a plus, giving you more precise scaling/position control to eliminate the space between the eyeball and eye rims. But the shaping/transition from the iris to the sclera gives the illusion of a bright ring around the iris and than from there the sclera quickly becomes much darker towards the edge of the eyes, even if I use chevybabe and dimensiontheory's products. I don't think this is better than that infamous visible separation of the iris and sclera on G8. And I actually think that under the same lighting, G8 eyes reacts to light better than G9.

Could you post a photo of this please? Id like to see exactly what you are explaining here.

edited July 10

Could you post a photo of this please? Id like to see exactly what you are explaining here.

Like this. Sclera map from dimensiontheory (which is not darker around the edges) and iris from your MR. I darkened and enlarged the iris when making the final eye map because it makes that bright ring surrounding the iris less obvious. It's definitely not a problem of the texture whatsoever.
    Screenshot_20240710-230508_Gallery.jpg
    865 x 865 - 77K
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • emaneman Posts: 41

The fact that the mesh is separated doesn't affect the render at all, it must be something else.

eman said:

The fact that the mesh is separated doesn't affect the render at all, it must be something else.

Well, G8 had separate iris and sclera meshes so it by default made smooth transition from iris to sclera when it comes to making eye maps more difficult. IMVHO G9's default shape of the rim of the iris is a bit too defined (or sharp if that makes sense) thus creating that bright ring around the iris under certain lighting.
  • chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,250
    edited July 10

Yeah the geometry edge catches the light at certain angles. I dont know if there was a way to design that any better while still keeping smooth transitions without a whole lot more geometry.  I have seen some interesting solutions on the internet but they are also far from reality in design.

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • emaneman Posts: 41

G8 doesn't have separated iris and sclera meshes, it only use different materials.

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 159

I gave it a fair shot and spend a bunch of money on it. I loveG9`s skin, but hate the bends.

I bought Natural Movements Pack for Genesis 9 and Ultimate Natural Bend Morphs for Genesis 9 Female Base, but those only make the bodies look weird (in my opinion and tastes).

G9 is not bad at all if the characters are clothed, but as an adult artist, my characters rarely have clothes on. 

I did buy Genesis 9 UVs for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female which allows G9 skin on G8 and 8.1. This worked great, except when you want to use geoshells on top of it. It just does not seem to work well. 

So it`s back to 8.1 for me. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,870

Like this:

dForce Cute SlipOn for Genesis 9 by: antjeadarling97, 3D Models by Daz 3D

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,926

johnjohn808 said:

I gave it a fair shot and spend a bunch of money on it. I loveG9`s skin, but hate the bends.

[...]

Same here. If the bends are bad, the figure is utterly useless. 

• GatorGator Posts: 1,294

xyer0 said:

Like this:

dForce Cute SlipOn for Genesis 9 by: antjeadarling97, 3D Models by Daz 3D

Those bends are awful... I haven't used G9 much so I can't help troubleshoot much.  

• dirtriderdirtrider Posts: 27

I tried 9 again last night just because there are so many new hairstyles for 9 that I really, really like, but the few I've bought either crimp at the neck on longer hairs or pancake the bangs when using a clone to bring them over to 8/8.1. Can also be a real time consumer when trying to manually fit them also. Anyways, I really tried to like 9 but gave up after a couple of hours. Just didn't bring anything to the table that I can't do with 8, at least for my render style. Sadly, I'll be passing on any other 9 only hair purchases from now on.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,873
    edited July 12

Bad joint bends are not a problem of Genesis 9, it is a problem of badly made characters for g9.

Most (I would say ALL) characters need their own custom CBS(formerly known as JCM) to make sure bending looks natural. Some character makers do a better job of that than others, and some ignore them altogether. That is what affects the look of bends.

Overall I have found G9 need far less CBS than any previous generation, so that attests to the fact that it really does bend nicely naturally.

Also keep in mind that alot of people like to mix and match  morph sets....when you do that you also introduce a mix and match of different CBS, and some of them really wont play nice with each other. That again is not a fault of G9, its just a fault of how easily it is to blend things together. Back in the day, you could really only use the morph that a character was designed for, or things would get ugly fast....now things are so smooth that it is usually just a rare mix that blows things up

Post edited by RawArt on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,926

RawArt said:

Bad joint bends are not a problem of Genesis 9, it is a problem of badly made characters for g9.

Most (I would say ALL) characters need their own custom CBS(formerly known as JCM) to make sure bending looks natural. Some character makers do a better job of that than others, and some ignore them altogether. That is what affects the look of bends.

Overall I have found G9 need far less CBS than any previous generation, so that attests to the fact that it really does bend nicely naturally.

It is true and should be hammered in rocks, that every character needs its own set of joint corrections.
    G9 has a terrible mesh layout, that doesn't have many edge loops in order to follow natural muscle shapes.
    Instead it is relying completely on HD morphs, which is a mistake, because it makes it still extra complicated to add CBS or JCMs to it.