Straw in a Stable - I'm having trouble with this, help!

I'm trying to do a simple stable scene but I cannot find a way to create the straw on the floor that looks decent. Someway that it natural how it lays against the walls and how an object (like a horse's foot) sinks into it.

I've attached photos to show what I trying to do. 

Any ideas?

csm_ergebnis_001_5739636e9d.jpg
700 x 700 - 95K
1000_F_341396143_56hUI4VYW3sg5Axspt2htTGDhrdFqzHm.jpg
1000 x 664 - 416K

Comments

• 5200north5200north Posts: 249

This is what I've come up with so far - I'm calling "Uncanny Vally Farms"

uncanny vally f.jpg
    1000 x 855 - 723K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,064

looks like a great idea for a DAZ PA to make with their dforce curves plugin

us mortals would need to use Blender, Carrara or Poser or try dforcing a heap of long skinny planes

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

I would certainly choose Blender and its extremely efficient hard body physics to do this. I would sculpt a basic heap shape to support a few hundred simulated straws. I'd bake the simulated result onto a low poly unwrapped version of the heap, then add some low poly straws with an opacity map, highlighting them here and there for realism. dForce is unfortunately only for soft body physics. But with the appropriate Simulation Surfaces presets, you can make objects behave very closely to solid objects.

I guess it would just need to create let's say 4 or 5 differently shaped straws. Use some of the scatter tools available for Daz. Duplicate them hundreds of times in the air, close enough from the ground. Then run a dForce simulation.

I mean... I'm sure it feasible in Daz only. But what you're looking for here are 3D modeling solutions. And Daz is not a 3D modeler. Every bundle sold here has been made outside of Daz with Hexagon, Blender, Maya, ZBrush, Marvelous Designer, etc. Then imported to Daz.

Your test looks good. Although the chosen camera angle  tells me it's flat as a cigaret paper. You'd need to use Mesh Grabber to pull vertices up so that it looks more like a heap of straw. But pulling geometry, you distort UVs and then you'd need to unwrap. Again... you need a 3D modeler to reach your aim ;)

If you don't know or don't want to learn 3D modeling. You could try to use 3D meshes already done and eventually change the texture to your liking.
    Pile of Hay or Straw

Hay bale

Straw Bales

In a nutshell : when you want any 3D objects very specific and custom to render with Daz. You gotta make that object out of Daz. In a : 3D modeler.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,914
    edited October 2022

I just took a shot at using SBH, and here is what I was able to do within the editor:

I painted an area on a plane, went HAM with the brush tool, cranked up the random root angle parameters and the frizz. I haven't had much luck making it render like straw, but I'm also not trying very hard.

SBStraw.PNG
    735 x 207 - 241K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598

Very cool effect. So many uses...shag rug anyone?

• 5200north5200north Posts: 249

i've never used this part of daz3d but i'll try it tonight. thanks! 

Gordig said:

I just took a shot at using SBH, and here is what I was able to do within the editor:

I painted an area on a plane, went HAM with the brush tool, cranked up the random root angle parameters and the frizz. I haven't had much luck making it render like straw, but I'm also not trying very hard.