Soft Body Physics & Animated Figures

Any news on using the soft body physics in Carrara on animated figures? I recently purchased Carrara and have had fun playing with draping clothes on static figures, but I'd love to be able to animate!

Perhaps somebody from DAZ could take a moment and chime in? I enjoy working with the soft body physics in Cararra, but if this isn't in the works, I need to find another solution.

Thanks in advance for any info anybody can supply.

- Greg

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited July 2015

No news from Daz.  I have the impression that it is Daz policy not to comment on what they are working on and what they are not - but maybe I'm not paying attention to the right people or to the right sources.

In any case, you may find the following post by Jonstark of interest and the thread that it is part of, if you are not already familiar with the "undersuit" approach.  It works well for some specific types of clothes and for some specific types of movements, but many of us still rely on Poser, Marvelous Designer, Blender, or some other program for draping cloth.

See

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/771857/#Comment_771857

and the thread that it part of.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,595

Thanks for taking the time to post, diomede - I appreciate it. I would like to find a way to do this in Carrara, as I've enjoyed my initial time working in it! Off to read . . .

- Greg

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

Diomede described it pretty well. I think that in terms of the future for cloth in Carrara is this:

DAZ sells content, and a cloth sim probably takes away from the content market (since if you can cloth your characters in dynamic cloth you don't need to buy clothing content), I personally think it's highly unlilkely they will expend resources to make the Bullet cloth functional.

The "underarmor" approach was a brilliant concept that does seem to work, but it also takes a lot of preparatory work to get everything just right. Certainly not a drag-n-drop solution, or anything near that.

Personally I think that, by far, the best solution for clothing simulations is Marvelous Designer. But again that takes some work to integrate your Carrara characters.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

There is no work at all, only to export your character (animated or not) in .mdd format (Fenric' s) plugin), load the character as avatar in MD and after draping and simulation, to import the clothing draped (and animated) in Carrara.
    It is not much more difficult than to change of room in Carrara.
    There are two things important to also say:
    - You build your clothing yourself and MD is easy to learn.
    - it doesn't have only clothing which you can build in MD, only your imagination will have limits to build objects softs and rigids unthinkable to realize in Carrara.