Two arms working together?

There has to be a way - but how?

I've had instances where a character holds a stick-like object with both - such as a broom, and axe, or a metal detector. Unforunately as you know, one can only group an objecyt toone hand at a time.

I need to anchor both hands to the object.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited July 2015

I'd try duplicating the object to which the single hoof is parented, then parent the other hoof to the second one.  Since the objects are identical and follow the same motions, there should be no need to hide one's visibility, but that could be done to help with render times if the idea works.

Hope it helps!

Edited to korrekt speelinf eroorz

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Target Helper Object's.

You can parent target helpers to each hoof,  and either parent the other object or use "point at" or "track"

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 303

Sorry I just just want to get clear what you mean by hoofs?

I think I did what you suggested - I parented the axe to one hand, then parented a null to the axe, then modified each hand to track the null. But each time one arm goes completely bananas!

Sorry Cobusp, I thought we were dealing with a Rhino or a Cowrarra :)

You can have Multiple targets attached to the Axe, one for each hand... or,

Try parenting the Axe to one hand,. Parent a target helper to the Axe,. and have the other hand track the target helper

Also,...

You can Select a "hand of a figure,. Then Shit+Select the other Hand of the same Figure,. Then you can Move them both at the same time.

Handy for Posing or animating

Sorry I just just want to get clear what you mean by hoofs?

I think I did what you suggested - I parented the axe to one hand, then parented a null to the axe, then modified each hand to track the null. But each time one arm goes completely bananas!

Hi, thanks for the clarification :-)

I tried the first suggestion, but the arm that tracks the pointer goes bananas.

Concerning your 2nd option: You can Select a "hand of a figure,. Then ****+Select the other Hand of the same Figure,.

I'll give that a try - I didn't even think about that!

Just making surre we're on the same page: Is it simply a matter of selecting both hands and then moving them simultaneously - I that whatyou mean?

that should read SHIFT + Select :) I guess the forum has auto censorshiip

yes,. both hands can be selected and moved at the same time,.  using Shift and click to Select multiple parts or objects.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    If the arms are going bananas when you try the target helper and IK tracking, it could be that you need to pose the arm and hand to get it close to the helper, and then enable IK tracking in the hand or whatever. You may also need to disable the track rotation option (or enable it- depends on what you're doing. I have many examples of using IK tracking and target helpers on my youtube channel. I use them for everything from automating V4 riding a bike, to overriding and NLA clip and keeping a hand on a hip. Since this is a new forum software, I will see if I can create post with the videos embedded in them.

Thank you Evil, I'll definitely want to check out your tuts.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited July 2015
    Well, they're not tutorials per se, they're more like tests to see what I could do. I can try and come up with something if it is needed, but I won't be able to for a little while- especially since I don't seem to see any way to format my posts- GRRRRR!
    Post edited by evilproducer on