Need help with Turning Spot Light into Headlight Beam

2»

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

Yeah, good point. What he's really asking is a bit irrelevant I suppose. I'm sure there are many others following this, now and in the future, who will learn a lot from all the responses.

• Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177

Guys, I think we got kind of sidetracked from my original  question...(rephased)

I want to make a realistic looking headlamp.  No dust unless added in the scene, no light cone, and I want the headlamp pattern to be what a real car headlamp would be like.

I need it to look real from the driver's point of view inside the car, and the observer's point of view outside the car.

Thanks,

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

I get no images at all - try to open link and get "Page not found" - using Chrome.  Across the Atlantic, if that has any significance to coolness :)

edited July 2015
    Turk_WLF said:

Guys, I think we got kind of sidetracked from my original  question...(rephased)

I want to make a realistic looking headlamp.  No dust unless added in the scene, no light cone, and I want the headlamp pattern to be what a real car headlamp would be like.

I need it to look real from the driver's point of view inside the car, and the observer's point of view outside the car.

Thanks,

Okay, well the light pattern that the headlight throws on the ground can be duplicated using a number of methods. Easiest might be an IES file (aka "photometric profile"), which describes the light intensity vs. angle. Just plug that into your Carrara light and you're all set. I'm sure you can find an appropriate IES file with a little Google'ing...

Or you can search the internet for fotos of actual headlight patterns and make a gobo (aka "gel") pattern in PS that you use in the Carrara light effects. 

Or you can do as I suggested with the actual bulb/reflector model and tweak the reflector to change the light pattern.

And if you want to accurately model a headlight (not sure if that's what you mean by "realistic looking headlamp"), then just search the internet for fotos and model away.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on

Oh, and if you want to get real fancy and study light patterns of car headlights, here's a cool paper that discusses IES files, and even how different quadrants of the headlight give different throw patterns...

http://www.kineticorp.com/publications/2010-01-0292-photometric-headlamp-light-distribution.pdf