UV map problem

pimpypimpy Posts: 274
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all,
I've some (???) problems with the Carrara UV editor.
The problem is that I created an internal stair and the UV map for the tubolar bars ( cutted and unfolded) but when I exported the model in .obj format and reimported in Carrara 8 pro I have a differen UV map.
How is it possible?
In this way I can't export the correct UVmap.
I tried to do the same with Carrara 7Pro with the same result.
Using the "old" Carrara 6Pro finally I had the original UVmap but if I export from C6 (in .obj format) and reimport in C8 the map is not correct!
P.S. Using UV mapper the original.obj have no problem with the map
Here some images from Carrara Pro 8-7 and 6
How can solve this problem?
Thank you!

7.JPG
960 x 600 - 225K
6.JPG
960 x 600 - 222K
5.JPG
960 x 600 - 177K
4.JPG
1191 x 649 - 291K
2.JPG
960 x 600 - 197K

Comments

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited December 1969

It always been a mystery to me ....

I model in Silo and always import things in the same way (obj format).

However, occasionally, few random vertexes just snap back to (0,0) position in UV space, never figured it out why, same object imported in Vue or Lightwave behaves fine.

What I do, I just fix problem in Carrara, save it, and go along with my day :down:

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited July 2015

Just a theory, but it's possible that when you exported the mesh it had unwelded points or perhaps even duplicate points.

I don't use UVMapper, but maybe it ignores duplicate points when setting the map, but not when it exports it.

My suggestion is to weld the object before exporting.

OR

Make shading domains for problem areas and use Carrara 8 Pro to select that and then make a UV map specifically for that shading domain. (under Display when the UV map icon is clicked in C8pro, uncheck display all and then put the type of mapping you want on that shading domain)

The one UV map image that shows a cyndrical mapping also demonstrates where the shading domain would be.
    The other image shows a before and after of the cyndrical mapping (on the left) changed to Box Face mapping (on the right)

If you want to stick with C8Pro alone to UVMap, I highly recommend making shading domains and then make a particular mapping style or even a custom UV map, so it is easier to handle when texturing or shading.

The other image of the cylinder shows the shading domain using a box face UV the cylinder with a cylindrical UV map.

cylinder_with_box_face_map_and_brick_pattern_4_x_4_shader.jpg
    394 x 387 - 48K
    cylindrical_map_changed_to_boxface_map.jpg
    665 x 372 - 35K
    cylindrical_map_without_shading_domain.jpg
    386 x 406 - 58K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

It always been a mystery to me ....

I model in Silo and always import things in the same way (obj format).

However, occasionally, few random vertexes just snap back to (0,0) position in UV space, never figured it out why, same object imported in Vue or Lightwave behaves fine.

What I do, I just fix problem in Carrara, save it, and go along with my day :down:

Thank You! ...perhaps I'll do the same at the moment :-)

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Just a theory, but it's possible that when you exported the mesh it had unwelded points or perhaps even duplicate points.

I don't use UVMapper, but maybe it ignores duplicate points when setting the map, but not when it exports it.

My suggestion is to weld the object before exporting.

OR

Make shading domains for problem areas and use Carrara 8 Pro to select that and then make a UV map specifically for that shading domain. (under Display when the UV map icon is clicked in C8pro, uncheck display all and then put the type of mapping you want on that shading domain)

The one UV map image that shows a cyndrical mapping also demonstrates where the shading domain would be.
    The other image shows a before and after of the cyndrical mapping (on the left) changed to Box Face mapping (on the right)

If you want to stick with C8Pro alone to UVMap, I highly recommend making shading domains and then make a particular mapping style or even a custom UV map, so it is easier to handle when texturing or shading.

The other image of the cylinder shows the shading domain using a box face UV the cylinder with a cylindrical UV map.

Good suggestion Design Acrobat but I do it!
    Usually I clean all the model to erase duplicated point and weld surface...
    and also for the second option ...
    is only one domain, "metal" shading and the uv map is only for that...
    I dont know....
    but thank you very much for the help