two problems

shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

1. smart content is working in carrara but:
some things, mostly textures don't have icons in the browser,
and you can't select them.

2. is it safe to delete the folder:
c:\users\public\public documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\downloads ?
it seems to have 2 types: zip and daz xml.

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,010
    edited December 1969

1. Smart content IMO is a cat... doesn't do what you want it to and is a PITA and better off not being there ( I don't use it at all )

2. That's where the DiM downloads the packages from the DAZ store ... mine are dsx and zip files.. in the DiM setup I changed that location to my second drive as it gets very large in size if you have a lot of content.. and is my backup so I don't have to re-download everything when my OS is re-installed :-)

So in summary I ditched the cat and put the dowloads onto a second much larger drive than my SSD main drive ;-)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

1. Generally I agree with Stezza on this. BUT, I do like the "Products" view in Smart Content - much easier than trying to figure out where stuff is in either the categories view or regular content. I use that quite a lot.

2. Sure you can delete it, but DIM will only download it again next time you access the store. Really you should think about backing it up, since those zio etc files are the master copies of the products you've bought from the store. Sometime Daz updates them, and sometimes they screw up, and sometimes bits of products disappear because IP distribution rights change or whatever, and then you've either lost part of the product, or you're glad yo made a backup of it somewhere.

If you're short on disc space, copy the whole folder structure to an external drive, and point DIM's "Downloads" location in Setup (the little cog icon) to that. Mine is on a network drive, so both my iMac and laptop can share it without having to download twice. :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

DIM won't download (or offer to download) the zips again if you have installed them, so it's up to you whether to delete them or move them elsewhere as a backup.

• shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

i mean that both in content and smart content
    some products don't work:
    you have a name in the left window
    but no icons in the right one.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

Are you using the latest release of C8.5.1. build 19 ?

Have you changed the Smart content Database from Valentina to Postgres,?
    this can be done by using DIM to download Postgres, or by installing the latest version of Daz3D Studio.

With the release of C8.5.1 the database which feeds the Daz3D Content Management System (CMS) has changed from Valentina To Postgres.

You may also need to run the Valentina to Postgres conversion utility to convert your existing CMS Database info.

It may also help to provide more specific information about the "products" you say are "not working",. screen-shots can help.

Note that some content folders or categories can be shown in the left , but may not contain any usable content for Carrara.
    also note that any "Smart" Content shown, can depend on what "Figure" you currently have selected in the scene.

edited December 1969

v4 elite texture:
    amy
    lana
    maya
    marie studioCF (the morphs inj is ok)

victoria4 wet maps

bonnie annes locker

brigida DS (Ps is ok)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Those products predate the .duf format, so unless they've been updated I wouldn't expect the DS versions to work in Carrara, only the Poser versions.

edited December 1969

Yup :)

As Mike says,. Those (Pre DUF format) products should be in the "Content" Browser "Runtime" folders
    However,...
    The first Elite Products didn't ship with the standard Poser "Pose- Mat's" , instead they came with Poser "Material room" files (.MC6)
    So, even in your Poser / Daz3D Runtime /Poses/ folders, where you would normally find Material poses,...
    there's nothing for Marie/ Lana / Amy / Maya.

Under "Poses" in your Content Browser, you'll find V4 Ellte Characters, which has Morph INJ and REM poses for Marie elite
    but no Mat poses for the textures.

In Daz3D Studio, you'll find the V4 Elite Materials in...
    Poser Formats / My Daz3D Library / Materials / V4Elite / (Amy Lana Marie Maya)
    These can be applied to V4, and "Saved as" "Material Presets" which can be loaded into Carrara 8.5

NOTE: The Material folder in DS' Poser formats library doesn't show up in Carrara.

In the Pose / Daz's Victoria / MATerials V4 Elite / you'll find MAT poses for other Elite Textures, such as (Arianna Katie Reby)
    and under .Pose / MATerials V4 Elite / Natasha.

For Carrara users,. there were some separate "Carrara Shader" products, created for each of the Elite texture sets.

As a Carrara user, you can create your own Shader by manually loading the texture maps from the Runtime/Textures/ folder, and then save the resulting "Global shader" to your browser for later use.

or you can purchase the Elite shaders for Carrara.

The Carrara shaders come with two different shader types,. A standard shader, for fhigh quality rendering,. and an Advanced shader with SSS and other shader adjustments for more realism but with a slightly longer render time, due to SSS / reflection / refraction etc,.
    Both shaders types use the same texture maps, but different settings.
    They also come with a portrait lighting scene for Carrara.

edited December 1969

there seems to be in:
    browser\sahders\skin
    the elite textures.

but what can i do with all
    the other textures that are missing?

edited December 1969

there seems to be in:
    browser\sahders\skin
    the elite textures

Those are the Carrars "Global" Shaders for the elite figures

To apply them...

Select your figure in the Scene instance list /
    Go to the Shaders Tab for the figure
    Select and drag the Elite"Global shader" and drop it onto the Multicoloured ball at the top of the Shader list for your figure.
    See pic

If you mean Lana / Marie etc,.
    you can load shaders for those in Daz Studio (poser formats / Materials) and then save them as DS ( DUF) as a (Material preset)
    then load those in Carrara, and adjust where needed ...

Or,
    As you already have a set of Carrara Elite shaders , You can use those as an example of the settings you'll want to replicate for the other elite texture sets,.
    You can manually load the maps for Texture / Specular / Bump etc
    Once you've completed all the shaders for a character, you can save that as a Global shader in Carrara's browser ( My Shaders)

apply_global_shader.jpg
    1491 x 959 - 254K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Warning - and a fix

Warning - sometimes, when applying a global skin shader in Carrara, I will get a missing file error for one of the texture maps. Occasionally, Carrara will tell me it can't find the map even if the map is already loaded in the scene through another shader! This has happened to me with one of the Carrara versions of the elite shaders (can't remember which).

Fix - if you navigate to the folder with the texture map when prompted, Carrara will find that texture map and all the others in the same folder (eg. bump map,...). However, sometimes you won't know where the files were installed. Therefore, it is a good idea to have some method of finding the files associated with various shader products. In my case, because I install with DIM, the files can usually be found through the DIM.