guide for converting Mil3 people completely to Carrara?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited June 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara has weightmapping?

Can it do anything for V3, Aiko3, Mil dog?

Ca rigged, their morphs, ca w-mapped, ca hair :)

and mimic live ready.

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Michael 3, Victoria 3, Aiko 3, Stephanie 3 Petite, etc. should all load in Carrara. They were designed for and rigged for Poser, I believe, and should load from the figure\DazPeople subfolder of the "My Daz3D Library Runtime" folder of the content tab if you did a default install. If you have bought Daz morphs for the figures, the morphs will be in the Poses subfolder of the "My Daz3D Library Runtime." Many of the morphs subfolders will begin with an !, such as "!M3 All Morphs Inj," which has morphs for Michael 3. Otherwise, Michael 3 and similar figures will have a default load with only a few morphs, primarily things like raising an eyebrow and opening the mouth, which can be found by selecting the head in this case. Similarly, surface shaders from Daz for these figures are also often applied with "Pose" files. For example, Daz has a product called second skins which applies a skin shader and cloth shaders directly to the figure for Michael 3. If owned, this would be found in "!MAT M3SecondSkinPP" in the Poses folder of the Runtime in content. Selecting the M3 figure at the top level in the instances tray and double click the morph or MAT set to load, or click and drag the morph or MAT set to the top level of the figure hierarchy in the instances tray. Several of these figures will have more than one version. Usually, SR stands for standard resolution and RR stands for reduced resolution. For morphs and things, you will usually want standard.

Once a generation 3 or similar figure is loaded with morphs, etc., yes, you can select the model level and enter the vertex modeling room. There, you can edit the bone influences, morph in the posed position, etc. Note that you need to already have at least one morph for an area in order to use the morph in animation mode feature.

I use M2/V2/M3/V3/The Freak/Aiko3/The Girl/David3 on a regular basis because I participate in the RRRR random content challenge in the commons. I never have any problem with them, but I am used to the quirks of older figures.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Some info that may be interesting:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53011/

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

thanks.

at least one morph for an area?

need a beer :lol:

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited June 2015

in poser, you can't inj a morph without setting up a waiting channel for it.
    how to handle that in ca native figure?

when i save Aiko3 to carrara, is it converting her geometry to "vertex" format?

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

I think there is more than one issue going on here. One is how to make morphs in general for a custom object. The other is how to make morphs for generation 3 figures. Here are some tips for making morphs in general for custom objects. We should be able to track down an existing thread for making Poser-style morphs for generation 3 figures, but don't forget that you can vertex model directly on the generation 3 underlying mesh in Carrara without creating a Poser-style morph. But here are some tips for making morphs for custom objects. At the end, I demonstrate morphing in the posed position for a custom cylinder figure.

Warning - it will get longwinded but still leave stuff out. Hopefully, there is enough to help you get started exploring the tabs and menus you generally would use.

Carrara's vertex modeler allows for (a) standard morphing, and for (b) morphing a rigged figure in the posed position.

(a) standard morphing is just like what you would expect from your Poser experience. While modeling the object, save an altered version of the exact same object (same number of vertexes in the same order). Load that saved morphed version of the object and a slider will appear in the properties tray. Adjust the slider to activate the morph. In Carrara, in the vertex modeler, you first create a morph area, then a morph for that area. How? In the vertex modeling room of your object, in the properties tray (right side, top) the "edit mode" at the top should be in modeling mode (left of three icons, looks like a hexagon with an arrow). In the middle of the properties tray, there are 4 tabs for Model, Morph, Bones, and Global. Select "Morph." You will see "Area List" and a box with the words Create and Delete. You need to have a morph area created before you can actually establish a new morph. Existing morph areas, if any, will be listed in the box. If none exist, you could create one. Name your morph area if you create one. If any exist, highlight the area you are interested in, and a list of existing morphs will appear. It will also say "current area" with your highlighted selection in the box, with a tab for a drop down menu next to it. At this point, you can either use the drop down menu to create a new morph target, or you can click the edit tab next to existing morphs to alter one of those. If you use the drop down menu to start creating a new morph, first you choose a name. A slider will appear with your named morph (empty right now) with the word EDIT next to it. Click edit and the morph area will turn to green in the vertex modeling room. Also, tabs will appear for valid, save, and load. Use the standard modeling tools to move the green vertexes and polygons however you want (can't add or subtract new vertexes). You need to save and validate the morph for future use. The object will then return to its default position and your morph will appear as a parameter. Your object now has a morph. Create morph areas and morph sliders to your heart's content. Other tabs on the menu allow to load an existing morph, etc. Won't g through all the options.

(b) This is for rigged objects that have been posed. Morphing a rigged figure in the posed position is very flexible, and is a good reason to use generation 4 and earlier figures rather than genesis-type figures. It is also a reason to create your own posable figures and objects. In any case, create morphs for posed figures while in animation mode in the vertex modeler.

How? Pose your figure. Select the model level and enter the vertex modeling room. The model will appear in its default position, not its posed position. In the properties tray, under the edit mode (top), choose animation mode (middle icon, looks like person with arms spread). The model will then adopt its posed position. Click on the morph tab in the middle of the properties tray. As long as you already have the morph area and a placeholder morph created, you can edit the morphs while the figure is posed. This can be a great way to correct joint bends, fix poke-through, or anything else you want. Note - if no morph areas and morphs exist, you can't create any in animation mode.

5a_morphs_edit_in_posed_position.jpg
    1343 x 942 - 198K
    4a_morphs_animation_mode.jpg
    1249 x 892 - 167K
    3a_morphs_posed_cylinder.jpg
    1343 x 890 - 198K
    2a_morphs_bones.jpg
    1156 x 858 - 200K
    1b_morphs_cylinder_with_morph_areas.jpg
    1398 x 914 - 178K
    edited June 2015

OK - back to Aiko3 and other generation 3 figures.

Yes, they are vertex objects (boned with skeletons attached) as far as Carrara is concerned. Even without creating a formal morph, I can convert Aiko3 to Ai-who for use in a How the Grinch Stole Christmas tribute.

Just select the model level of Aiko3 and enter the vertex modeling room (or click the wrench to vertex model in the assemble room). I then selected some polygons on the nose with symmetry and soft select to convert Aiko3 from an anime-style figure to a Cindy Lou Who style figure (or at least start to).

3_aiko_who.JPG
    1320 x 868 - 116K
    2_aiko_who.JPG
    1555 x 928 - 239K
    1_aiko3_loaded_with_daz_clothes_and_hair.JPG
    1321 x 952 - 137K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2015

OK - now for morph targets for Poser friendly figures like generation 3 figures. Here is cripeman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDiY2K-Higg

Kapow! - he uses the 3D universe toon generation figure but the concepts are similar.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

There was also a question about adding Carrara hair to generation 3 figures, millennium dog, etc.

Yes, you can!

Holly has a very detailed tutorial on adding fur to the millennium cat. The tutorial is done as a comic book. You can find it here if you scroll down.

http://carraracafe.com/tag/hair/

Fur Tutorial Comicbook
    by Holly Wetcircuit | May 5, 2014 | Tutorials