trouble transferring bones from a figure to a custom top

deathmaster_srdeathmaster_sr Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been making custom clothing for my figures for a little while now. After daz 4.8 was released, however I've been having trouble. I do all the steps required. I make sure all the polygons are named correctly and exactly the same as the figure they are going to, I zero the clothing, shrink it down to 1.042 so that i can transfer it from carrara to daz3d, save it in the correct spot, open daz3d, load the figure and import the custom clothing, and use the transfer utility. When I do however, it only transfers the hip, pelvis, thighs, feet and toes. That would be fine if i was working on skirts or pants, but it is a top that i'm currently working on. I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, or it's a bug with 4.8. Any help would be appreciated. also I'm sorry if i posted this in the wrong forums, as i'm jumping between carrara and daz i didn't know which one to post it in.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Hi,

With the Studio 4.8 transfer utility, the basics should be easier now. Dartanbeck has a thread somewhere that goes into more detail, but the following post should get you started.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/#676987

There are also tools for fine tuning rigidities like buttons, steps for optimizing for a morphed shape (like Aiko 5),... The same thread has some additional posts with links to more resources.

edited December 1969

OK - rereading your post, I see that I am not necessarily being helpful.

Some questions -

what figure are you using? Genesis? Victoria 4? The Freak 3? a custom figure?...
    How are you loading it in Studio? from smart content? from a content library?...
    what are the exact settings you are using in the transfer utility? (source, target object...)

• deathmaster_srdeathmaster_sr Posts: 18
    edited June 2015

the figure i'm using is aiko 6 (genesis 2). I can only assume by it you mean the top i'm working on. i saved it as an wavefront object .obj and import it into daz3d. If you're refering to aiko 6 i'm using smart content. and exact settings i'll post the screen shot of the transfer utility.

transfer_utility.jpg
    485 x 576 - 60K
    Post edited by deathmaster_sr on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

in the "Projection Template" option/menu (currently NONE in your screen-shot ) you should select "Shirt"
    that should set it up as a top / shirt thing.

hope it helps

edited June 2015

i'll try it, and get back to you.

edit: i tried using the shirt and i still get the same results which is it takes the lower parts of the body and puts in on the blouse, I'm posting a screenshot to show what i mean.

daz_problem.jpg
    1360 x 768 - 238K
    Post edited by deathmaster_sr on
    edited December 1969

It looks to me as if the shirt may be loading too low in your scene. It looks like the waist is on the floor. Does the shirt object appear to fit the Aiko figure on load? Is the shirt coming in too low around the legs of the figure?

edited December 1969

when i import the shirt from carrara to daz3d, that's where it appears upon finishing importing. i've even tried moving the shirt into position and using the transfer utility and i get the same results. if i try and export the shirt from anywhere other then 0x, 0y, 0z position in carrara, it will not appear at all once i import it to daz3d.

edited December 1969

The object should appear in the same physical position it was when you modelled it on the figure in Carrara , (You should be using the figure like a Mannequin to create the clothing item.

then export using the "DAZ3D Studio (complete scene)" (no scaling or resizing of your object should be done in Carrara before exporting to DS),. there's no need to resize something you've modelled to fit another model in carrara.

Export your OBJ as it is,.

Open DS and load your figure (Aiko or whatever) and then Import your model (clothing) the clothing should match the figure position and shape.
    Your clothing model should appear exactly where it was when you modelled and exported it from Carrara.
    You need to have the Donor Figure (Aiko or whatever) in the scene to fit the clothing item onto, using the transfer utility.

Run the transfer utility.

That should do it

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

Thank you, that is a step in the right direction. However a new problem has cropped up. Now the shirt shrinks into the figure. If you could help again, I'd be grateful, the screen shot show's the transfer utility, the outfit before the transfer and what happens after.

new_problem.jpg
    1321 x 557 - 133K
    edited December 1969

HI :)

My workflow is...

Load the base figure in Carrara, EG (Genesis female base / G2 Female base)
    Model clothing around the figure,.
    UV map modelled item
    Export as OBJ,. (select Daz Studio (Full Scene)) in the export options.

Open Daz Studio,.
    Load the same base figure.
    Import your OBJ Model.

It should import into the same relative position to the figure.

Select the imported object in the DS "Scene" panel.

Use the little top corner "menu" to select Edit / Geometry /Add Sub-division smoothing
    You can optionally repeat that process to add the Push Modifier, and the Smoothing modifier if you need to.
    (See pic)

note that if you model in Carrara using the "Base" figure as a mannequin, then the item should fit correctly onto the same base figure in DS (and all the base figure variants, such as A6, S6, V6,

Use that same menu to select ( Assets / Transfer Utility.)

Next,. select the appropriate options for your item, eg Base Figure / Your imported OBJ / projection template.

The Item should now be conformed to the figure,. and you'll have some morphs sliders (in the parameters panel) to allow some fitting adjustment in the item.

Lastly,. save your new item by using the File /Save as / Support Asset / Figure/Prop Asset.

Open Carrara,. Load figure,. Load your new clothing.

Hope it helps :)

clothing_1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 239K
    edited December 1969

I'm going to try that.