Adding New Menu Item To Main Menu Bar

jgmartjgmart Posts: 18

Hi - 

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Please see attched image.  I'm trying to add a "Scripts" menu item to the main top menu.  Everytime I type the word Scripts, it switches back to New Menu.   

I've also tried adding it as New Menu, then renaming it, but it always goes back to New Menu.   Please tell me, or point me to the correct way to add a new top menu bar item? 

Thank you! 

2022-07-06 08_43_34-DAZ Studio 4.20 Pro.jpg
1996 x 1209 - 250K

Comments

• You could try just right-clicking on a file in the Content Library and selecting Create Custom Action. It used to vbe possible to manually create the menu, but perhaps it is now a reserved name.

• jgmartjgmart Posts: 18

@Richard_Haseltine, thank you for the feedback.   I was able to make the name "My Scripts" and it allowed that.  I was wondering why I see that Scripts selection in the top menu on so many tutorials and screen shots and why I don't have it.  

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 606
    edited July 2022

Richard,

In trying to resolve supper sluggish Iray preview window responsiveness with one product yesterday, my computer took a long time to respond to File/New.  After it did, I closed and relaunched Daz Studio (4.20).  What I discovered is that all of the menus and toolbars that I had created over the weekend were gone.  I also discovered that the custom action items from which those menus and tools were created were still intact.  I don’t know what caused the menus and toolbars to be wiped out but is there a file that I can copy from my weekly backup files that might restore the menus and toolbars so that I don’t have to create them again? A few were created by products that have scripts to add and/or remove their menu/toolbar.

Below are two screen captures of the files that I backup each week.

Thanks much.

DS backups.jpg
    757 x 421 - 89K
    DS AppData backup.jpg
    788 x 521 - 126K
    Post edited by jjoyner on

jgmart said:

@Richard_Haseltine, thank you for the feedback.   I was able to make the name "My Scripts" and it allowed that.  I was wondering why I see that Scripts selection in the top menu on so many tutorials and screen shots and why I don't have it.  

I have an older business-class laptop (Windows 10 Pro) on which I have a copy of Daz Studio 4.15 installed; I am using version 4.20 on my newer. gaming laptop.  I do very little with Daz Studio on the business laptop and have only installed three or four content items so that i can quickly test something without moving to my gaming laptop.  I just opened Daz Studio on the business laptop and it has no Scripts menu.  I suspect that this menu only gets created and populated when a product creates the menu or one manually creates it.  As a test, I manually created a Scripts menu on the Main menu bar and added one item to it.

• jjoyner said:

Richard,

In trying to resolve supper sluggish Iray preview window responsiveness with one product yesterday, my computer took a long time to respond to File/New.  After it did, I closed and relaunched Daz Studio (4.20).  What I discovered is that all of the menus and toolbars that I had created over the weekend were gone.  I also discovered that the custom action items from which those menus and tools were created were still intact.  I don’t know what caused the menus and toolbars to be wiped out but is there a file that I can copy from my weekly backup files that might restore the menus and toolbars so that I don’t have to create them again? A few were created by products that have scripts to add and/or remove their menu/toolbar.

Below are two screen captures of the files that I backup each week.

Thanks much.

Closed properly or force-quit? The latter has the potential to interrupt, and break, the saving of the session layout files (though there should now be local backups - that, or the ones from your backups, go in

%appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/

or "studio4 public build" for the beta. actions.dsx, customactions.dsx, layout.dsx, menus.dsx, and toolbars.dsx)

• jgmart said:

The Scripts menu can be created when you create a Custom Action, depending on choice, or by installing some scripts that are set to add themselves there.

• jgmartjgmart Posts: 18
    edited July 2022

@jjoyner - Thank you for the response.  That worked!  I added a custom action (first) for Ultrascenery and Daz added it to the Script menu- and then Scripts appeared on the top menu.smiley

Post edited by jgmart on

jgmart said:

@jjoyner - Thank you for the response.  That worked!  I added a custom action (first) for Ultrascenery and Daz added it to the Script menu- and then Scripts appeared on the top menu.smiley

Glad to be of assistance. 

Richard Haseltine said:

Closed properly or force-quit? The latter has the potential to interrupt, and break, the saving of the session layout files (though there should now be local backups - that, or the ones from your backups, go in

or "studio4 public build" for the beta. actions.dsx, customactions.dsx, layout.dsx, menus.dsx, and toolbars.dsx)

After two minutes or so, Daz unfroze and I closed it normally.  I'll check my backup for the files that you reference.  If I haven't been backing up those files, it's not a great loss to recreate my lost menus (only about 8) and toolbar (with two items) and I'll include those files in future backups.

jjoyner said:

Richard Haseltine said:

After two minutes or so, Daz unfroze and I closed it normally.  I'll check my backup for the files that you reference.  If I haven't been backing up those files, it's not a great loss to recreate my lost menus (only about 8) and toolbar (with two items) and I'll include those files in future backups.

Well ... mixed results.  The Daz Studio AppData files that I backup weekly do contain the referenced .dsx files. I first replaced the current menus.dx file with the July 3 backup file and launched Daz Studio; it didn't restore the menus as I thought that I had them though.  I then copied all of the backup files shown in the image below and still no success.  It's possible that most of the menus that I created were done on July 5.  At least I know what files I need to use in the future if I need them.

AppData files.jpg
    909 x 850 - 237K