G8F CLOTHES FOR G3F?

I, in common I asume with many others have spent a lot of money on clothing for various Daz models over the years. There was a time when I loved Victoria, but sad to say the old girl is now very much just that, an old girl and I have moved onto to younger models. First my affections were transferred to Genesis and then G2 and most recently G3F, and I mortgaged my house to clothe all of them ( just kidding ).

Then along came a new and more tempting younger woman and once more temptation is rearing its ugly head. I checked my wallet, empty, so I trawled around finding free stuff for this new woman in my life, but, inevitably the time has come when I have to admit I can no longer keep this very expensive creature in the style to which she is accustomed. 

Its a sad story, but does anyone know if there is any way that I can use the vast and expensive content I have purchased for earlier versions of genesis, G,G2 and G3, with G8 and G8.1 content and also use the limited content i have purchased for G8 with her earlier incarnations...

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127
    edited July 2022

For G3F clothes; you can normally(99% of the time) just change the scene ID for the item, then fit it to G8F/G8.1F directly with no issues.Shoes and accessories are included in that 99%. You will most likely come across something that won't work.I haven't yet but I'm certain there is something that won't hence the 1% assumed failure rate.

Fitting G2 and older clothes to G8F/G8.1F will take some work, and the results can be hit or miss. A good convertor will save a bit of the work, but won't eliminate it.Get mesh grabber also.It's very useful for this type of stuff.Shoes, especially heels won't happen without a custom fit morph for her feet.I gave up trying to get G2F heels on anyone else.

edit:just realized you want to go backwards(G8 clothes on G2) not forwards.I'll leave this here anyway incase someone finds it useful.Mesh grabber a good convertor,  and alot of patience.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 606

Its a sad story, but does anyone know if there is any way that I can use the vast and expensive content I have purchased for earlier versions of genesis, G,G2 and G3, with G8 and G8.1 content and also use the limited content i have purchased for G8 with her earlier incarnations...

I read the thread, Clones for Genesis 8 to 2?, in The Commons forum (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/574686/clones-for-genesis-8-to-2#latest) a little over two weeks ago and it provided a link to a free product, Autofit Clones, at Deviant Art that solved this issue for me.  I was so impressed with its results that I posted my thanks to the vendor in the same thread referenced above.

With Autofit Clones installed, the AutoFit popup window has additional choices.  Below is a screen capture of the Athletics: Basketball for Genesis 2 Male(s) basketball uniform fitted to Ade for Genesis 8 Male.  No tweaks were required after the autofit.

Auto Fit with Auto Clones installed.jpg
    842 x 645 - 94K
    Example.jpg
    895 x 717 - 69K
  • ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278
    edited July 2022

I think clothing and character converters offer also a good solution for making older stuff work with new characters and vice versa. 

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=clothing+converter

From my own experience I can say that these converters work pretty well.

The only issue are shoes, especially with heels. There it is often hit or miss. 

Post edited by ps2000 on
  • togegotogego Posts: 1

There are clothing converters that can do this, but the result isn't always nice.

I think it would be much easier to convert the Character from G3 to G8 instead.

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 520

Hi there!
    I made a quick image reference on how to get to the Scene ID to give it a hotkey/keybind and what needs to be changed where in the Scene ID to get the Genesis 8 clothing/hair working on Genesis 8/8.1.

A couple of quick caveats!
    1. Some bones are different between the two generations, hands for example, so not all items will work like they do on Genesis 3. To get around this you can use Smoothing (Edit/Figure/Add Smoothing Modifier), Push Modifiers (Edit/Figure/Add Push Modifier) and my favorite tool ever Mesh Grabber. Make sure you have the Clothing/Hair selected before adding these!
    2. After you have swapped the Clothing/Hair over to Genesis 8 via the scene ID change if you are going to save out the updated Scene ID so you don't have to keep swapping it make sure you save it to a different data folder location and name them accordingly! If you overwrite the existing data folder location the set will not work on Genesis 3 without switching the Scene ID back to the original base figure.
    3. For changing the Scene ID's you do not have to do them one at a time you can multi-select. Just make sure what you are selecting is set to fit to Genesis 3 and not one of the other clothing pieces then you can just hit your Scene ID keybind and swap the Preferred Figure from Genesis 3 to Genesis 8
    4. Setting the Scene ID for Genesis 8 I would recommend setting the clothing to fit to the Base Genesis 8 figure(s) instead of the 8.1 Bases since all the 8 clothing "should" work on 8.1

Products Used in Image:
    Tamara Hair from 3D Universe
    Victoria 7 Skins
    Dark Storm Outfit from Genesis 3 Starter Essentials

Hope this helps!
    Elli

SceneID + G3 Clothing to G8.jpg
    2560 x 1038 - 856K
    G3 Clothing-Hair on G8.jpg
    820 x 888 - 154K