comprendo the Yosemite HDR? Cornet HDRI A?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited June 2015 in Carrara Discussion

it doesn't seem to do anything with the lights. in poser hdr images go in the light setup.

but in carrara it looks like it's only a background image.
but when i pivot the camera the background seems to pan.

is there like an invisible enviro shell for background images?

where is the hdr magic happening? :)

thanks

http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-two

:) used this ca shader - http://www.daz3d.com/carraracters-delphinia

115a.png
600 x 406 - 453K
Doc5.jpg
558 x 500 - 80K
Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

is the renderer set to global illumination Sky light and indirect light ticked?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited June 2015

is the renderer set to global illumination Sky light and indirect light ticked?

the sky is set to base. sunlight is ticked in the render settings, but the rest of it is greyed.

iz baffling. it uses one distant light, no magical settings. no shader opens for the light.

when i pivot with the camera, it's like the time of day changes.

it doesn't catch shadows,
    but putting a floor down will cover the lovely grass.

renders fast though, the buckets zoom across the background image.

edited December 1969

shifting study to the Cornet HDRI A cuz yosemite is home.

the background is set to HDRI, and there's an actual hdr image in there.

finally installed the 7-zip.
    so it looks like the file stores the literal path to the image, but it found it anyway, the hdr image is in the same folder with the Cornet HDRI A.car file.

don't see an actual light loaded with the file.

cornet2.JPG
    839 x 627 - 58K
    corneta.JPG
    928 x 666 - 87K
    edited December 1969

wheee

tryin to remember where the blurred reflection is for the brass.

Cornet_2.png
    800 x 600 - 552K
    Cornet_HDRI_A.png
    800 x 600 - 629K
    edited June 2015

heheh :lol: remembered the blurred reflect is in the reflect channel of the shader. is channel the right term?

but will saving with an alpha channel remove the background image?
    what happens if the cornet is inside a house?

cornet_blurred_reflect.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 1969

You need a shadowcatcher plane
    drop an infinite plane in a set shader under top pararemeter under lighting to shadowcatch
    in render settings in render room tick sky light at least and indirect lighting if wanting full IBL

edited December 1969

HiYa waves** to wendy.

I'se been stuck trying to figure out why the shadow outlines of the cornet and balls are ragged looking?

there's no blurred reflection on the floor.

the Cornet HDRI A file is under scenes, global illumination.

so far i've unticked 'depth of field' in render settings and set shadow accuracy to 4px.

oops my lunch time over. back to excel

raggy_shadow.JPG
    1094 x 740 - 139K
    edited December 1969

Those tiles have bump so the reflection would be ragged, they are not mirror tiles
    also for blurry reflections there is a raytrace vaule in the shader room as well as render room, they take a damned long time to render too.

edited June 2015

oh, the bump map.

had an eeeks moment, the floor's reflect was at 12%, i crancked it to 100% double eeek

dayjob compy has 4 cores. experiments are faster than at home.

cornet-floors_reflec_to_100_percent.JPG
    1093 x 691 - 132K
    edited June 2015

woww THANKS WENDY!!!!

set the bump to none. gone ragged shadow edges.

so bump maps scatter the ray trace shadows. good thing to know.

wonder if poser and ds do the same thing?

lotta texture sets have bump maps. thinkin particularly of hair casting shadows on faces.

cornet-bump-none.png
    1200 x 565 - 874K
    edited June 2015

You need a shadowcatcher plane
    drop an infinite plane in a set shader under top pararemeter under lighting to shadowcatch
    in render settings in render room tick sky light at least and indirect lighting if wanting full IBL

shadowcatcher :) could be a superhero

tee hee with brass balls
    blur reflect

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited June 2015

So, for the coronet scene, there is no primary light. If you look at the scene description in the Wizard there is a description of the scene that tells you that the HDRI is the only light source.

HDRIs will only load into the Scene's Background (as far as I can tell). The scene background wraps around the virtual universe that encompasses your scene. Since the universe is surrounded by a virtual sphere, HDRI's will look best if they are spherical, which is what DTs Yosemite HDRIs are- Spherical. When you rotate the camera, the perspective changes.

The light also appears to change because of the camera angle, because an HDRI's bright spots, such as sun and sky provide more light than darker areas, such as the ground and trees. The higher dynamic range of the HDRI (meaning the more exposures that were used to create it), equals better light quality. I have seen some that are so good that you don't need a key light. Most are made from three or four exposures (especially free or low cost HDRIs) and create a more diffuse light that may be helped by putting in a key light.

Wendy is also spot on that a simple plane using the shadow catcher lighting model in the Texture room will provide your "ground" and shadows without obscuring the HDRI.

You were also on the right track when you asked if rendering with an alpha channel will hide the HDRI background. You will probably want to composite your own background in an image editor. You can also hide what is in the Background by sticking in a color, color gradient or image/movie (image map) in the scene's Backdrop. The HDRI can still provide illumination (provided Skylight is enabled in the Render Room) and reflections, but the image will be hidden.

Now for some other stuff that can act as image based lighting in the scene's Background. If you use a color, a color gradient or an image map, such as a .jpg, .png, etc. in the scene's Background, they can also act as image based lights. They just won't be quite as good looking as a true HDRI, but can still look really nice. As with an HDRI, if it's visible in the final render, spherical renders or images will look best.

Additionally, if you use a Realistic Sky in conjunction with the Skylight option in the Render Room, that will also act like an image based light.

If you wish to experiment with high resolution non-HDRI spherical renders (.jpg format), I have a daylight view of Dystopia City Blocks and a night version at my ShareCG account:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/51297/view/6/Texture/Dystopia-Spherical-background-image-map

http://www.sharecg.com/v/64485/view/6/Texture/Spherical-Dystopia-night-with-clouds

I used the night version to make this youtube video. It's pretty short as it was just a test:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6E8ji3oHA

The image of the car uses the daylight version. Even though the spherical render is a hi-res .jpg and not an HDRI, enabling Skylight in the Render Room, and adding a distant light for sunlight, it still looks pretty good, especially if you look at the shadows.

Challenger-copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

looks good. :)

what happens if you put a bump map on the ground gravel?

still trying to figure out the bump map best practice.

edited December 1969

You can use bump and/or displacement on a shadowcatch plane in fact anything can have a shadowcatch shader even grass clumps in front of a grassy image or HDRi, I have used shadowcatch grassclumps in a grassy DT Urban Recreation HDRi in a video.

edited June 2015

hoping i'm on the right track for making a video. walk cycles, faster rendering with backgrounds.

installed mimic but haven't tried using it yet.
    the screaming bee vox is baffling. the one i bought only works from mic to speaker. i want it to read my recorded voice from .wav and output morphed voice to .wav >.<<br /> my ambient noise gathering is recorded on smartphone, amr files need converting.
    don't have anything yet for dragon wings flapping, but got some nice osprey kiiys

3pm already. so much to dooo

edited December 1969

I use morphvox with Audacity open too and choose screaming bee in the Audacity mic options and record it.
    I have overdub checked in preferences for Audacity too.

edited December 1969

As I learnt though the hard way do not choose it as your voice option in Skype with a call in progress!!! Event Bluescreen
    but Audacity it is fine, I switch between voices and mic imputs all the time, have several options, Mimic live in DAZ studio sees it too, you have to have morphvox open.

edited December 1969

not the blue screen >.<</p>

edited December 1969

i forked over the 1.99 for the other yosemite pack.

.cbr files can't use relative paths?