[SOLVED] How is an image rendered in IRAY?

mdingmding Posts: 1,217
edited June 2022 in New Users

Hi everybody,

If i set rendering quality to 10 and converged ratio to 99%, after like 70% rendering do i have a rendering quality of 7 with 99% converged ratio?

Post edited by mding on

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

It means 70% of all pixels have reached the 'quality' you set, the other 30% need more iterations.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,217

Thanks a lot @prixat! I had hoped to get a feeling for which rendering quality to choose for certain scenes, but if after 70% i only know that 70% of pixels have reached the chosen converged ratio + rendering quality, that makes it of course more complex lol.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

I have never had the need to raise quailty above 1.

What sort of scenes are you doing? surprise

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

prixat said:

I have never had the need to raise quailty above 1.

Neither have I 

edited June 2022

It can make a difference with organic textures, like human skin and leaves of plants for example.

Edit: Also with fabric like a knit sweater.

Post edited by mding on
    edited June 2022

Well, for what i did now the long render time seems to have been completely wasted lol. Still with closeups i have seen differences, and in DAZ (shop) tutorials i have seen higher quality values like 100.

t1.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1014K
    t2.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    t3.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by mding on
  • The render Converged Ratio looks at how many pixels are converged, the Quality sets the tolerance for convergence (there is no absolute done value with an engine like Iray)

edited June 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

The render Converged Ratio looks at how many pixels are converged, the Quality sets the tolerance for convergence (there is no absolute done value with an engine like Iray)

Thankyou  @Richard Haseltine! Your post nudged me to this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58275/what-is-convergence/p1 

where you went a bit more into detail. If i understood it right:

Render quality: how many steps of calculation do i want to invest to get closer to a not reachable perfect final result.Every step takes the same amount of time but yields less and less improvement.

Converged ratio: how many pixel shall meet the standard set by render quality. [EDIT] The lower the quality setting, the higher converged ratio should be.

Well that makes a quality value of 100 not sound very worthwhile... Thanks again!

Post edited by mding on