Is Animation scrubbing possible?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

It would be great to scrub the animation back and forth. Is that just a factor of having a more powerful GPU? Or is it even possible with Daz?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,066

yes or use smooth shaded view

Filament can with simpler scenes on my PCs, iray no way cheeky

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,914

I think a bigger factor than the viewport (excluding Iray, of course) is the number of morphs, smoothing modifiers on clothing, etc. Load up a character for which you don't have a lot of morphs (for example, I have almost no content for the original Genesis), put an animation on the figure, and try scrubbing through that. 

• FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,926

Yeah, I used the texture shaded view and I rarely have problems scrubbing the animation. But trying it in iRay - I wouldn't on even on a dare. It takes too much computing power for my machine. 

I'd also do what Gordig recommends. Start out with just the figure, lighting and minimal morphs to scrub through the animation and get things the way you want them. The simpler the scene the better the scrubbing. Then once you get the animation to your liking, add in the morphs, hair, outfit, and environment before rendering the animation.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

I use texture shaded view but have never been able to scrub. Have a GTX 980 ti in a older Mac tower, but maybe that's not enough. Or maybe I have too many morphs. So every element that I adjust with a a figure--shape of nose, mouth, eyes--is a morph?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,066

980Ti here too, hence I use smooth shaded

or Filament but DAZ not made that work on Mac yet crying

• tfistfis Posts: 129

Deke said:

It would be great to scrub the animation back and forth. Is that just a factor of having a more powerful GPU? Or is it even possible with Daz?

Not possible (as long as you dont use only two cubes, or so).
    You have to do viewport test renders.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

tfis said:

Deke said:

Not possible (as long as you dont use only two cubes, or so).
    You have to do viewport test renders.

Is possible if using wireframe preview on my i7+RTX3060+64GB 

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

Thanks. Does Daz have to calculate each morph for each frame? Is that why rendering takes some time? Is there a way to bake those morphs that would reduce the need to calculate it for every frame? 

Sometimes I can render Viewport and it takes a couple seconds a frame. Other times Viewport renders take 20-30 seconds a frame. It'd be great to know why there is such a difference when I'm just rendering a character, no set.