What do you think of the red legs?

I like flipping through the pages of the daz store. Sometimes I come across figures whose legs are noticeably redder than the rest of the body.
I understand that most of the textures are taken from scans of people and in reality, people's legs are redder?
I honestly did not pay attention to this. But in 3D. It looks like a circulation problem in the lower extremities.

What do you think about that? Do you like this realism in 3d? Personally, I'd like to see a more even skin tone all over the body.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,749

Are there examples of this? Links?

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,148
    I think I know what you're talking about, unfortunately, no examples come to mind right now. It's also strange to me, since most people's legs might look paler than redder. As for even color, I don't mind it too much, except for the face. Usually, I've seen this with lighter skinned characters. They look so unnaturally pallid that it detracts from the overall look of the character, which seems to have a very nice sculpt. (These characters are supposed to be "regular people," not ethereal beings.) I tend to skip them since I can't just download the morph separately.
  • Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 734

A few years ago I read an article in which a photo retoucher for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition was interviewed.  She said that her edits included things like legs that were veiny, blue or magenta-looking, along with the usual facial blemish removal and cleavage shading/enhancement.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,717
    edited May 2022

There are quite a few of them, drives me nuts. OK, I'm already nuts, but it makes it worse surprise I usually just don't buy from the vendors that don't correct it, because it's a real PITA to fix (no doubt why you see it quite often).

Here is a quick example. Yes, it's not an artistic render, but it shows the issue. I used Elizabeth for G8F

red legs example.png
    1400 x 1750 - 2M
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,201

i have a couple of these, too.

i've wondered a couple times if the mats for these red-legged characters are all based on the same merchant resource skin.

j

• GatorGator Posts: 1,294
    edited May 2022

jardine said:

i have a couple of these, too.

i've wondered a couple times if the mats for these red-legged characters are all based on the same merchant resource skin.

j

That's quite possible.  I had one that was really bad, I forgot which character.  It is a real PITA to fix.  I can't remember if I Photoshop fixed it, or eventually gave up and used another character's textures.

Post edited by Gator on
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

I remember this was a real problem for a number of skins for V4, particularly red knees.  I finally learned that most of the problem skins were from a particular merchant resource vendor (I forget which one at the moment), although they were not all the same skin texure product.  It was interesting that the problem was usually not visible in the promo pics, but could clearly be seen if you looked at the skin texture JPG or PNG, or if you did a test render.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,870

I don't like it, and it has rendered some otherwise outstanding skins as unrenderable. I never do nudes, but these girls can't even wear a dress.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,265

Oh let me tell you a little story.

Once upon a time there was this white lady that liked to wear sleeveless tops to work. She did a lot of walking even across a bridge over water. Her arms got very brown.

Then one weekend she had the opportunity to go hiking in the Rockies and so she did, wearing shorts. Hoping to get a good burn that would turn brown so the legs would match the arms.

Got a good burn all right, BUT for the first time in her life, the red did not turn brown. Nope. It stayed that nice bright RED colour.

With me so far.

Brown arms, red legs, white torso. Quite the sight in the locker rooms ;-)

Moral of story. Do not try to get a matching tan at high altitudes. Point of story, yes it is possible to have legs that are redder than the rest of the body. Is it desirable. I don't think so.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

My legs as so white they get people hollering out their cars at me laughing "white legs". It's an old Florida insult.

Their legs are likely red from contact dermatitis with their pants that have been washed in a laundry detergent known to be a common allergen, like "Tide Laundry Detergent" (the powdered form of Tide eats me up) 

• PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 872

My legs are blue sun is something we dont get often

• DripDrip Posts: 1,185

My legs are usually compared to milk bottles. And I'm required to hand out shades whenever I go out wearing shorts.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Up here, were are pale most of the time, except for the couple of months every year that we can bathe in the sun (unless it's raining cats and dogs) and turn red cheeky

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 159

I know this is an old thread, but I have a loathe for working with skins that are multiple colors. (See Twosret 8). Beautiful model until your realize that her face and body are way mismatched in color.

I bought RY Perfectly Imperfect Skin 3 Merchant Resource for Genesis 8.1 Female back when it was new. I forgot about it and only tried it out today. 

Very weird tan. Red legs on Daz characters, which is not uncommon, I just don`t like it ...But thats not all.....

The red starts from the bottom of the breasts and go all the way down to the ankles, which means that she was walking around in the sun with a crop top long sleeve shirt, shoes, but no pants! LOL

And yes...I know about people with tans. I live in Hawaii and everyone here has tans...we`re all born with them :D.  I even worked in the adult industry (IRL) for over a decade and have seen my share of tans on naked bodies, but I`ve never seen a tan like that before hahaha

I wish one of the PA`s would give us a skin set with a near blank slate to work with, and let us decide what our character should look like instead of what they feel our characters should look like.

This is only because I never use out of the box characters and skins, and being exclusively an adult artist, my characters are always in the buff.

I`m just hoping one of the PA`s reads this grants my wish.

This is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions ;)

• daer-thingdaer-thing Posts: 59

FirstBastion said:

Are there examples of this? Links?

https://www.daz3d.com/hid-rio-for-genesis-81-female One example, although in practice it is much more noticeable than on the promo pictures.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Some things to consider, when one isn't getting the character looking anywhere close to what is shown in the promo pictures.

The artist that created the promo pictures, probably used their own custom lighting and rendering settings
    What kind of lighting and rendering settings is one using one self?
    Monitor adjustments... (can make a big difference) Recently I bought 3 new monitors, but didn't replace them all, the one old monitor gives warmer colours as the new ones give more bluish tint.

In general, I haven't seen reddishness as a problem in renders, for me most of the skin looks too dark (greetings from Santa-land)

• daer-thingdaer-thing Posts: 59

PerttiA said:

Some things to consider, when one isn't getting the character looking anywhere close to what is shown in the promo pictures.

The artist that created the promo pictures, probably used their own custom lighting and rendering settings
    What kind of lighting and rendering settings is one using one self?
    Monitor adjustments... (can make a big difference) Recently I bought 3 new monitors, but didn't replace them all, the one old monitor gives warmer colours as the new ones give more bluish tint.

In general, I haven't seen reddishness as a problem in renders, for me most of the skin looks too dark (greetings from Santa-land)

Indeed in certain lighting conditions it isn't really visible, in other conditions it is significant (to me on my monitor).
    But if I open for example both arm and leg diffuse (or in this case called "base") maps and place them next to one another, the difference is pretty appernt.

• DeeceyDeecey Posts: 129
    edited September 7

Not meaning to resurrect an old thread, but there are an AWFUL lot of photo resources on 3D SK where the legs appear more "reddish" than the rest of the body. I suspect gravity is the cause.

Post edited by Deecey on