PBR and Carrara, Bitmap2Material

Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I found some free PBR texture packages (Sponza PBR and Free PBR substance pack and 'i've started to play with it in Carrara.

To my surprise, it works very well.

Albedo goes in colour (obviously)
AO (with the right intensity) goes in highlights
Roughness (with the right intensity) goes in shininess (and it's the first time I've found maps that fit that slot).
Metalness (with the right intensity) goes in reflection (with some tweaking in Fresnel and refraction).

Then, I'm thinking about buying Bitmap2Material 3 which can produce those bitmaps.

Does anybody has experience about PBR and/or Bitmap2Material 3 ?

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

No experiment for the moment, but that seems excellent.
    I will test it soon.
    Thank you for the link !

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

When I first learned about Allegorithmic a few years back it seemed an ideal way to transport complex texturing between applications. However, I don't know of any application that support the Allegorithmic format directly. I did know of ONE a few years back, but it is no longer in development.

Baking textures from application A to use in application B is so counterproductive. I am surprised that no one is developing an effective "transparent" solution to the baking issue. Open Shading Language is in development, and I expect it will have widespread use at some point in the future, but as a non commercial tool, that could take many years.

It seems like there is an opportunity here for commercial developers to support Allegorithmic or Open Shading Language. Users are especially concerned about workflow and any developer that makes work more effective would have a competitive advantage, which would then force all the players to adopt similar support.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited April 2015

iClone 6 does partially
    http://www.reallusion.com/creative/substance-designer/ not the PBR bit though
    I do not really understand all of it am waiting for now to see where it goes.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • makmamakma Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

I bought Bitmap2material indie and use it for Thea studio materials maps. Also tried it in Carrara with some success. But I put roughness map into reflection slot. I don't use metalness but glossines map in shininess and diffuse in color. I used normal maps in bump slot. I like detail Normal maps because they give very good effect. I didn't know what to do with AO and curvature maps in Carrara and Thea as well. I will try your idea. Never tried displacement maps in Carrara. Normal maps are OK to me.
    It is a pleasure to work with that app. Fine tuning and quick results.
    Greetings,
    Marek

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    edited December 1969

Although I haven't even explored it yet, DAZ Studio providing Iray as the default render engine now is quite an exciting proposition!
    They still have the powerful 3Delight engine available, and always will, from what I understand, which is good. Some folks don't really care to get into that approach for various reasons. Personally, I am content with Carrara's PR render engine as I love how the Texture Room works. It's easy and powerful.

Philemo, that's cool that the PBR materials work! I have made some of my own Shininess channel texture maps for various things, and find them to be quite useful. Just another tool to help us make our materials look so incredibly right for what we want them to be!

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

I don't have the full version of B2M, only what comes as an addon to iClone 6, as Wendy mentioned. But there is Substance Designer, which is in my humble opinion an excellent tool for creating all sorts of bitmaps, which work well in Carrara.

• Virtual MediaVirtual Media Posts: 85
    edited December 1969

iClone 6 does partially
    http://www.reallusion.com/creative/substance-designer/ not the PBR bit though
    I do not really understand all of it am waiting for now to see where it goes.

Wendy, could this be used to generate custom skin textures for Daz characters imported into iClone?

Thanks

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

The links look interesting, although I'm kinda lost as to how it implements with Carrara... Is this something Carrara supports natively or this some sort of a plugin?