Posing problems

HonzoHonzo Posts: 193

I'm trying to pose a G8F figure in a standing hip-shot position- that is, with the left leg out to the side and the left hip dropped, and then with the torso tilted the opposite way, so that the right shoulder and hip are closer together.  However, I can't get enough tilt in the pelvis to make this work. The arc dial for the move shows a blue wedge, but the hip doesn't actually move past about ten degrees.

Also, I want to move the shoulder-balls up and down, forward and back, but they seem not to do this with either rotation or direction controls. I figure both of these must have fairly obvious solutions, but in the last hour or so, I can't seem to find them.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,914

When posing, it's helpful to try things for yourself. How far can you actually tilt your own pelvis? It's probably not as far as you might be thinking. It's your spine that's doing most of the work for a pose like you're trying to achieve.

• HonzoHonzo Posts: 193

I do that, actually.  There are two bends involved, the spine and the leg joints. It's easy enough to bend the spine so the figure curves to the side, the problem seems to come from limited motion of the hip sockets, especially an indward bend, to put the center of gravity over one foot. This appears to be why I couldn't lower one side of the pelvis beyond a fairly limited point- and I say 'limited' as an old man who can easily bend further than the the G8F figure.

This is also the case for the shoulders. I finally got a decent approximation of what I was trying for with the raised shoulder, but then I couldn't lay the upper arm along the side of the rib-cage. Again, I am able to raise my shoulder and lay my whole arm along my side down to the finger tips, so I don't know what's going on here. Are there limits on the deformations of the various joints? Can they be modified?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726

If you absolutely need a body part to go beyond the bending limits, turn the limits off (select the parametrs on the dial and then uncheck the limits)

• HonzoHonzo Posts: 193

Thank you. I figured there was a way, but didn't know where to find it.

• You could also rotate the hip bone, as long as you don't go so far that you can't straighten the abdomen sufficiently.