Problem with strand hair

HonzoHonzo Posts: 193

I just applied the Oso Bob hair to Teen Josie 8. The viewport is set to Iray, and only a handful of strands show up. I started a render to see what the hair 'really' looks like, but after 4 minutes it was still at 0%, so I cancelled it. Is there some trick to this, or do I just need to have a Cray in the basement to render strand hair?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,914

I don't know what you mean by "a Cray in the basement", but most dForce hair is set not to appear in Iray previews by default because of how resource-intensive it is. It can make the initial preparations for a final render take longer, but once the render does start, it typically goes pretty fast. Also, hopefully you weren't keeping the viewport in Iray mode when you started the actual render. 

• HonzoHonzo Posts: 193

By 'Cray in the basement' I meant owning my own supercomputer.  I tried to make a regular Iray render, and it showed the face and these tiny strands of hair, just like the preview, but after 4 minutes there was 0% progress. 

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Make sure that the PS and PR hairs are both set to be generated and rendered.  Especially the dForce hair that was made when it was a new feature often have these set in a way that it won't render prperly.

• HonzoHonzo Posts: 193

Thanks, I'll check that out.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 667

Honzo said:

By 'Cray in the basement' I meant owning my own supercomputer.  I tried to make a regular Iray render, and it showed the face and these tiny strands of hair, just like the preview, but after 4 minutes there was 0% progress. 

Unfortunately, at 80MHz & 136 MegaFlops, the CRAY-1 is far less than the machine you're currently using to run DAZ Studio. D|S would choke a Cray-1 to death. What you currently need in your basement is a Fugaku with its 442 PetaFlops system--with that, you MIGHT be able to render a single frame of IRAY in a day. :D