Carrara export options

vindazivindazi Posts: 667
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Can Carrara export in dxf format? How about large .obj?

Can anyone point me to some landscape scenes done completely in Carrara?

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Don't know what large .obj means, but it can definitely export in .obj and .dxf.

edited April 2015
    Post edited by Jonstark on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited April 2015

Then there's my freebie:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/69697/view/5/3D-Model/Fantasy-Village-terrain

Note: the buildings and figures are not included, but the trees, posts, rails, banners, stone fences, etc. etc. are included.

Jousting_copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited April 2015

Landscapes done in Carrara

Carrara has a "Scene Wizard" panel, (when you create a new document) Part of that allows new users to choose options for terrain , textures, sky, lighting etc... and it makes you a landscape scene auto-magically.

you can also create and edit your own terrain, shaders,, sky etc...once you're familliar with Cararra

explorer.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 264K
    landshot3.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 445K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

Man, I really love that astronaut 3DAGE!

edited December 1969

vindazi said:
    Can Carrara export in dxf format? How about large .obj?

Can anyone point me to some landscape scenes done completely in Carrara?

There may be some export options that are Pro only, I think FBX is one, but I don't know all the others. If you have the money, I would get Pro anyway, as you can then get the 64 bit version of the application, plus a whole grab bag of extras that DAZ throws in.
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Carrara won't write obj files bigger than 2GB. Anything bigger will still be 2GB, and corrupt. Troublesome if you're exporting from replicators, or vertex-converted trees (my 60ft oaks will blow it - see below)

This is a small landscape scene, done entirely in Carrara - about 200ft x 150ft. The third image is from a scene that covers about 5 acres, although you're only seeing a small part of it. I'm kinda limited for choice right now, cos I'm building stuff rather than rendering it! (big landscapes take a long time to render!)

Crossroads-F2.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
    aerial.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 583K
    Bridge000.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 246K
    edited December 1969

Tim every time I see a render from that scene it looks better and better. I have no doubt that when you're done tinkering it Daz will jump at the chance to make it a product in the store.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Tim every time I see a render from that scene it looks better and better. I have no doubt that when you're done tinkering it Daz will jump at the chance to make it a product in the store.

+1

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

Ah the 2GB limit explains some issues I was having with exports.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Something I discovered the hard way: If you have smoothing turned on, Carrara will convert the mesh to real polygons before exporting. This will produce a significantly larger obj file than maybe it needs to, especially if the destination program also supports smoothing. (remember, x1 smoothing = x4 polys!)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Something I discovered the hard way: If you have smoothing turned on, Carrara will convert the mesh to real polygons before exporting. This will produce a significantly larger obj file than maybe it needs to, especially if the destination program also supports smoothing. (remember, x1 smoothing = x4 polys!)
    A possible way around that particular issue would be to export the object without smoothing turned on, import the resulting obj into DS and add the SubD modifier from there, and save it as a DUF, which will put the smoothing onto a slider.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    edited December 1969

I am finding myself constantly impressed with Carrara's terrain tools. But if that's not enough, DCG's Ground Control Plugin looks as if it adds multitudes of extra features and options! :ahhh: