Carrara vs Bryce

2»

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited February 2016
    vindazi said:

Does anyone know if I can try before I buy? Is there a leberal return policy?

Note that if you do join PC+ and purchase it you can return it for any reason... anything like "It will not work on my system" to "I can't tie my shoe laces with it". You don't have to join PC+ to get the 30 day return policy, AFAIK. This is based on what I heard in another thread here in the forums... I believe, don't remember which one. Also if you have PC+ you can take advantage of the PC+ only free products also. Those alone will likely pay for the price to pay for the PC+ account.

I would also open a "Help" request to extend the 30 day return policy especially since just learning Carrara has a bit of a learning curve.

Also try other features Carrara has to offer... it's worth it! I've only missed one upgrade since Carrara 4 which I promptly upgraded to the Pro version after seeing the standard version's capabilities.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • vindazivindazi Posts: 667
    Steve K said:
    vindazi said:

Can someone direct me to a gallery of work done in the ltest version of Carrara,  animated or not? Does anyone know if I can try before I buy? Is there a leberal return policy?

I enjoy doing short animations in Carrara, generally using the latest version available (currently 8.5).  Here is my Youtube page, the animations are all done in Carrara:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SteveK77536?app=desktop

People seem to like this one minute animation:

Here is my DAZ Gallery of stills, again all done in Carrara:

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/2784/

I don't think there is a trial version, & I don't know the return policy, surely someone here does.

Very nice work. It showed off some important features in Carrara I had not seem before.

Is the content I have purchased for Daz Studio usable in Carrara?

AniMate?

How were the birds animated?

Is content like cyclorama usable or is there something comparable in Carrara?

• vindazivindazi Posts: 667

These are some nice examples. What I somehow missed is some examples of an animated skies that are doable in Bryce. Is that doable in Carrara? Examples?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Vindazi

You can download the Trial version of Carrara from www.downloads.com

It runs for 30 days with full features,.

You could add some volumetric clouds into a scene , animate them,. and  see if that's what you want

Carrara also has a thing called the "Realistic sky editor" which has four levels of cloud planes with options for cloud type, thickness, altitude,. etc

it also has Fog, haze, and environment controls for the sun or moon light systems.

all of that can be animated over time

Try it for 30 days,. ...see if you like it.

Hope it helps :)

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227
    vindazi said:
    Steve K said:
    vindazi said:

Can someone direct me to a gallery of work done in the ltest version of Carrara,  animated or not? Does anyone know if I can try before I buy? Is there a leberal return policy?

I enjoy doing short animations in Carrara, generally using the latest version available (currently 8.5).  Here is my Youtube page, the animations are all done in Carrara:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SteveK77536?app=desktop

People seem to like this one minute animation:

Here is my DAZ Gallery of stills, again all done in Carrara:

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/2784/

I don't think there is a trial version, & I don't know the return policy, surely someone here does.

Very nice work. It showed off some important features in Carrara I had not seem before.

Thanks.

vindazi said:

I think it is supposed to be in the latest version of Carrara, but I have had trouble with *.DUF files and so avoid them.  I also avoid all the Genesis products, mostly because I have a lot of Gen4 characters, clothes, mocaps. poses, hair, etc. (Michael 4 and Victoria 4)  So I stick with Poser format which generally works fine in Carrara, plus I also use Poser Pro 2014.  DAZ3D is not putting out many new Poser or Carrara format products, so much of my purchasing is now done at other sites.  There are still plenty of products coming out in Poser format.

vindazi said:

AniMate?

Yes, using this:

http://www.daz3d.com/animate-aniblock-importer-for-carrara

I have about 15 collections of Animate motions, I generally import them then convert to Carrara clips for easy storage in Carrara's browser.

vindazi said:

How were the birds animated?

If you mean in "Blown Away", the bird flock is a Particle Illusion effect, a 2D overlay on a still Carrara landscape image (or video).  A great program, more here:

http://www.wondertouch.com/index_2.asp

I use the standalone version, not the After Effects version.

vindazi said:

I don't use Cyclorama, so I'm not sure, but it might be similar to several "BMF" (background, middle ground, and foreground) products for Carrara, like this one:

http://www.daz3d.com/carraras-bmf-winter-pak

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    vindazi said:
    Steve K said:
    vindazi said:

I utilize both genisis and Genisis 2 as well as the older M4 and V4 characters.

• vindazi said:

These are some nice examples. What I somehow missed is some examples of an animated skies that are doable in Bryce. Is that doable in Carrara? Examples?

Animated clouds you want? How do these work for you? ;-)

The first one uses the animated cloud layers from the Realistic Sky Editor (RSE) that 3Dage mentioned above.

The second one uses strictly volumetric clouds.

edited February 2016
    Steve K said:

vindazi said:

I don't use Cyclorama, so I'm not sure, but it might be similar to several "BMF" (background, middle ground, and foreground) products for Carrara, like this one:

http://www.daz3d.com/carraras-bmf-winter-pak

vindazi,

I have some earlier Cycloramas but probably not the latest and greatest. From my expeience with the earlier Cyclorama products they are simply images applied to what I see as a narrow background and ground and somtimes a middleground or more middlegrounds, note the middlegrounds would simply be one or more plains, standing on it edge and in front of the background or perhaps off to one side or the other to add the appearance of depth... the middleground would have a image applied to it to complement the back ground and ground. Picture a Cyclorama as an extruded L  or a wall and a floor and twisted to face the camera which is how they normally load. I've never tried importing a Cyclorama into Carrara because why would I want less than I can achieve with Carrara alone and have actual depth that does't rely on images on planes. In DAZ Studio with any of the Cyclorams I have you can point the camera 90 degrees left or right and see absolutly nothing. Not so in Carrara although it could be accomlished if you are close to the edge or corner of the actual landscape. Note also that you can create landscapes of very large sizes to avoid this. Even a small landscape allows you to be able to place your camera at the center of a landscape and rotate it 360 degrees if you wish,  animate it, fly it over or around a landscape or just point the camera in one direction for a still.

Note that I have used a Cyclorama in DS Studio to add a bacground and get a fairly quick render. I've nothing against them for Studio. Some of the later ones look very nice. That said they do not compare with a landscape in Carrara. I don't have Bryce but it's landscapes look very good. I'll not get into an argument as to which program Carrara vs Bryce has the best background. I am at this moment looking at the promo page from Bryce and it's add-ons. Some of the add-ons shown come with Carrara, some others can be created using Carrara and I'm not sure about a few others. Note that I do eventually plan to get Bryce just to create landscapes with for use in Carrara for comparison and additional content.

Buy or try Carrara and be prepapared to be amazed... I've been using it since Carrara 4 Pro... now using Carrara 8.5 Pro.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    wgdjohn said:
    Steve K said:
     Even a small landscape allows you to be able to place your camera at the center of a landscape and rotate it 360 degrees if you wish,  animate it, fly it over or around a landscape or just point the camera in one direction for a still.

Agreed.  Another option that can be quicker (I enter the 48 Hour Film Contest ...) is a sphere with the seamless landscape/sky images fitted to it.  Similar to Carrara's HDRI backgrounds, but it just loads as a prop.  Here is an example:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/terra-sphere-1/98766/

I used that product in this Carrara animation, starting about 4:00:

Looks very good... just viewed it for the 2nd time... saw it awhile back for the 1st time and hadn't realized it was a spherical map as the animation's focus is on the 2 planes/characters. Just placed it in my wishlist since it's quite inexpensive with a Prime membership. I believe I've seen all your 3D animations at least once. Nice.

wgdjohn said:

Looks very good... just viewed it for the 2nd time... saw it awhile back for the 1st time and hadn't realized it was a spherical map as the animation's focus is on the 2 planes/characters. Just placed it in my wishlist since it's quite inexpensive with a Prime membership. I believe I've seen all your 3D animations at least once. Nice.

Mnay thanks.  Note that vendor has several other variations on the sphere background idea - cityscapes, etc.

I'll check them out too. Thanks