Why is my .duf file so large...over 32GB?!

I am a new user to Daz 3D...using Daz 3D for about a year now.  I've recently been experiencing multiple Daz crashes.  Upon searching the Daz forums, and checking whatever I can on my computer for the culprit...I've found that my .duf files had been getting increasingly larger and larger over time as I've been using the software.  My latest .duf file is over 30GB and I need to figure out what is going on.

Why is my .duf file over 32GB?! 

Is there a plugin or script I can use to figure out what in my scene is making it large?  Maybe some way I can see the list of resources that add up to 32GB would help.

At this time, it takes about an hour to open the file (that's if it opens without crashing Daz).

Anybody who has any insite would help me from pulling my hair out from the frustration!!!angry

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,004

When you say "my .duf file", I assume you are talking about a saved scene file. Animation can make a scene file large. Have you been using Animate2 or the Timeline? Embedded geometry can also make the file large. Are you adding things to your scene other than store bought assets? Saved scene files are just  compressed text files. You can uncompress them with something like 7Zip and then examine them, but with a file that large, I imagine any text editor might crash trying to load the file. People could offer more specific suggestions, if you give more explanation of what your scene consists of and what your workflow is.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

I used to treat the timeline as pages in a comic book, but soon realized that absolutely everything was saved for every page, made worse with props saved within the scene...

It was how I used to work with Poser, but trying to do the same in DS ended with a 3.5GB file running out of storage space while exiting DS (=no going back), since then I have saved a new file for every frame of the scene.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

Another thing which could make the scene file big is using geometry editor, mesh grabber or dFormers.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071

How much memory does your computer have?  If a file is compressed, then DS needs to decompress it, and that process is usually done in memory.  So, if your computer doesn't have at least 32 GB of RAM installed, DS is going to crash every time.