breath

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!!! always fighting with the animation of my tree, (some people already help me on that here!!thank you!!) : in cinema 4d there is a modifier called "breath", which produce on a folliage the feeling of a quiet breath... I don't know really the modifiers in C8pro, I just try "noise"... Do you think there is a modifier similar to the cine4d breath??? I have animated my tree with bones, and it works well, for moving areas of folliage, but if the leaves would tremble slightly, it would make the trick, I think...
thank you for help!!!

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

There is a modifer “curve and torsion” (translation from French).
    You create some instances of animated leaves and you use the surface replicator to place them on your tree (shader domains), it is all.
    You can use this modifier for the trunc too.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

celmar said:
    Hello!!! always fighting with the animation of my tree, (some people already help me on that here!!thank you!!) : in cinema 4d there is a modifier called "breath", which produce on a folliage the feeling of a quiet breath... I don't know really the modifiers in C8pro, I just try "noise"... Do you think there is a modifier similar to the cine4d breath??? I have animated my tree with bones, and it works well, for moving areas of folliage, but if the leaves would tremble slightly, it would make the trick, I think...
    thank you for help!!!

Like almost everything in Carrara, you should be able to animate the properties of the wind speed and direction as well as the rustle of the leaves in the plant editor. To add random variations, expand the tree parameters in the sequencer, and switch the tweener type to Noise and adjust the tweener parameters to something you like.

• laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

my problem is that the tree isn't a carrara one, but a tree I had before... it doesn't at all match the carrara trees!

edited December 1969

Maybe a deformer would work? There is a bend and twist deformer. I think that will deform the the whole tree. It may help to know the type of model the tree is. Meaning, is it a vertex model, a group of models, does it use a replicator?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

There is a shake modifier afaik

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Was thinking about how to set this up with a non-carrara tree and concluded carrara trees are much much easier to animate for blowing wind :)

Guess you could rig the branches for bones to make them move, or use a deformer like Evil mentioned. Getting leaves to 'flutter' on the branches could be done if each leaf was a separate object (maybe replicated all over the tree), maybe you could make the leaves softbodies that are attached at the stem of the leaf and introduce some scene forces. Yikes that would be complex to set up though...

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Was thinking about how to set this up with a non-carrara tree and concluded carrara trees are much much easier to animate for blowing wind :)

Guess you could rig the branches for bones to make them move, or use a deformer like Evil mentioned. Getting leaves to 'flutter' on the branches could be done if each leaf was a separate object (maybe replicated all over the tree), maybe you could make the leaves softbodies that are attached at the stem of the leaf and introduce some scene forces. Yikes that would be complex to set up though...

You're on the right track with the replicated leaves I think, because if you animate the orientation, that will be carried through to the replicants. If you add more of the leaves to the replicator and change the orientation of each added leaf a bit differently than the first, then it will add a bit of randomness to the movement. If you need the movement to be sporadic, then use the tweener.

To use the tweener, set the position of the leaf at the beginning of the animation, then move to the end of the animation and change the position. Click in the space between the keyframes and you will be able to edit the tweener. Switch it to noise by using the pulldown menu. I think you will want to change the Noise tweener to use the Cubic method. The T-scale means Time Scale. If you need more movement, slide the slider to the left. Less movement, slide it to the right.

Picture_4.png
    237 x 362 - 18K
    Picture_3.png
    238 x 333 - 18K
    Picture_2.png
    248 x 341 - 20K
    Picture_1.png
    491 x 237 - 7K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Maybe a deformer would work? There is a bend and twist deformer. I think that will deform the the whole tree. It may help to know the type of model the tree is. Meaning, is it a vertex model, a group of models, does it use a replicator?

He He, my “Curve and Torsion” in french is “Bend and Twist” in english.
    I don't often uses the Carrara trees because they are not very realistic.
    I make as I explained in my preceding post and I even tested leaves as soft bodies replicated and that works !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

I make as I explained in my preceding post and I even tested leaves as soft bodies replicated and that works !

Great idea. Will make a note of that. Thanks.

edited December 1969

Like most of the included content, many of the presets kind of suck until you show them a little a love. I point to HowieFarkes as exhibit A.

If you are doing an extreme close-up, or have a totally unique tree, such as an old and twisted tree, then you will want to build that another way, but that doesn't preclude using a replicator and Carrara plants to add the smaller branches and leaves.

Tree_of_life03.jpg
    2000 x 1236 - 2M