Adding text to a scene

Hi team, I have a seen few plug ins that have text letters to add to a scene one by one but that looks a bit laborious to me.

It may be a silly qestion but is there any plug in that allows you to add text by typing on the keyboard? I do not want anything fancy or 3D, just plain text.

Thank you

Post edited by malcolmkarpeta_40f9af0b00 on

Comments

• You could always use an image editor - most would let you type, if you do it white-on-black then you can use it as an opacity map for a plane (via the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane) and set the base colour to whatever you want.

• Thanks for the suggestion Richard, I currently add text in photoshop after rendering so I do have a way, but would really like to add it before render. Anyway, as one of the prolific experts on here, I'm guessing by your response there is no such plug in.

thanks again

• I thought there was, but as I recall it makes 3D text and you said that wasn't what you were after so I didn't dig.

• Thank you Richard yes

• artxtapartxtap Posts: 151

Apparently if you have blender you can type in your text and do anything with that text that blender will allow, and you can input it into Daz. Color it, resize it, what ever you want.

This will allow you to '..add it before render. ...'

• artxtap, Ah, didn't know about that, I will try it.

Many thanks

• functionfunction Posts: 279

It depends on where you want to put the text, I normally use primitive plane or backdrop.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954

Hexagon can do 3D text too

and Carrara if you have it

Hexagon is free and has a bridge, need to do triangulation on it for studio as it doesn't like Ngons

• Thanks for all of the advice guys, I am experimanting as we speak!

Many thanks again

• artxtap said:

Apparently if you have blender you can type in your text and do anything with that text that blender will allow, and you can input it into Daz. Color it, resize it, what ever you want.

This will allow you to '..add it before render. ...'

Works an absolute charm, easy and quick, you have saved me a LOT of time my friend

Thank you

Welcome, don’t know your situation, but if you want to add text for the reason of the title of that video you may want to see/ expand it’s  description on youtube. It has a link to another video about visual novels, web comics ,etc… and work flows.

• artxtap said:

Welcome, don’t know your situation, but if you want to add text for the reason of the title of that video you may want to see/ expand it’s  description on youtube. It has a link to another video about visual novels, web comics ,etc… and work flows.

Cool, thanks again.

I have noticed that the text being an object it causes a shadow so I have to play around with the lights a bit so it's not in the scene. No biggie but I'm seeing if there's a way to eliminate shadow from one object only, not sure it can be done but if I find out I'll post.

I think you have a good case for a ticket. If you go to the ’word(s)’  parameters→display→rendering→

there are 3 items [in my daz] 1-visible in render, 2-cast shadows, and 3-render priority. the cast shadows switch does not appear to be working

Here is a test following that video; with cast shadows is off. I too see a shadow.

Or you could do your renders in 3delight. smiley

sh_test.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    sh_test2.png
    1080 x 810 - 924K
  • artxtap, Sorry for the late reply but having more problems lately which I shall be asking about but thank you for confieming it's not just me!

• VITUSWONG1963VITUSWONG1963 Posts: 1
    edited May 15

malcolmkarpeta_40f9af0b00 said:

Hi team, I have a seen few plug ins that have text letters to add to a scene one by one but that looks a bit laborious to me.

It may be a silly qestion but is there any plug in that allows you to add text by typing on the keyboard? I do not want anything fancy or 3D, just plane text.

Thank you

Hi there, I use painter to make a text jpg, create a primitve plane in daz3d, change the base map of the plain, render...

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on