What system do I need for getting back to rendering?

Hello,

I am experienced with older versions of Daz3D, but have been away from it since V4/M4 were the latest and greatest. I want to get back to it; I plan to have 3-5 figures, and primarily boxing and/or MMA scenes.  I like the Genesis figures.  What do I need for a system; I'm going to be neededing a new computer soon.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726
    edited January 2022

Ideally for 3-5 figures you need an nvidia GPU with at least 12 GBDDR (3080, 3080ti, 3090) and a top of the line GPU. The reason for the amount of DDR on the GPU is that if the resources in the scene are to much for the GPU, it will drop to the CPU for rendering.

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • If your budget is too streched for a top end video card then the Nvidia 3060 with its 12GB vRAM works very well. The attached image was rendered on one. A plug-in called Scene Optimizer was used but only very lightly.

Dining room 05.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,911

Agree with Matt, I would recommend RTX 3060 with its 12GB VRAM. Build the rest around that.

• Thanks.  I'll be looking into these.  It's OK if the high quality final render takes a bit of time.

What will I get for free with Daz?  How much can I morph figures to add muscle,change body shape, and otherwise individualize characters before I start buying add ons?

The help is much appreciated!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,911
    edited January 2022

You will not get much for free with the DAZ Studio base program (except of course the base program itself, which is amazing!)

It's just enough to get your feet wet but not enough to make any interesting work. Selling assets is how DAZ makes their money!

Mostly you'll get the male and female base figures (I assume you'll be working with Genesis 8.1) and 8 skins (one black, brown, Asian, and white skin each for male and female).

Genitals are not included and you have very limited ways of shaping the characters.

You'll also get a random selection of hair, clothes, and props. A lot of it is quite old, some of it can be used with the current generation.

At the very least you'll need to buy

Genesis 8 Male Body Morphs
    Genesis 8 Male Head Morphs
    Genesis 8 Femae Body Morphs
    Genesis 8 Female Head Morphs
    Zevo's 200 Plus for G8M or Rarestone's Face Morph Collection for G8M
    Zevo's 200 Plus for G8F or Rarestone's Face Morph Collection for G8F

... and then you'll probably want some hair, clothes, props, and scenery; possibly a few more characters and maybe some expressions, poses, and lights.

It depends on what you're trying to do, and how much patience you have.
    You can find a lot for free and some of that is pretty high quality, but it takes a lot of time to find those freebies.
    Poses, expressions, and lights you can create yourself but that takes some skill and, again, a lot of time.

To get the genitals you'll need to buy at least one male and one female bundle.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • Thanks.  Since I'll be doing mostly boxing and MMA, I'll be making most of my own poses, since a quick look at most of the canned action ones is disappointing.  (As a successful mateur boxer, I am picky about them.)  Doing a limited range of scenes, at least at first, keeps the budget under control.  It looks like buying them is not too budget-shattering.