Free Video Utility

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,203
edited January 2022 in Carrara Discussion

"When I need to convert video files, I like to use a program called HandBrake from www.handbrake.fr. HandBrake is a free, open source video transcoder that works very well ... You can convert video from any format to any other format you want, including compressed formats such as MP4 and MKV.  I use this program frequently for converting video I want to embed in my website or send via email when those video files are otherwise too big.  There are also quite a few tutorial pages on the web that explain how to use HandBrake to accomplish different tasks."  (Jay Lee, Helpline, Houston Chronicle, 13Jan2022)

Post edited by Steve K on

Comments

• thanks for the share

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,203

Xervious said:

thanks for the share

You're welcome.  I actually used this once a while back, I had some video that would not load into Vegas, this converted it into a format that loaded.  Another handy freebie is the VLC video player.  The local producer for the 48 Hour Film Contest, who faces all kinds of formats, recommended it to me, "plays anything I throw at it".  I don't think it converts, though.

• BagboyBagboy Posts: 170

Hello Steve-

Actually, VLC does do conversions. It's a handy tool, all right!  

Bagboy said:

Hello Steve-

Actually, VLC does do conversions. It's a handy tool, all right!  

Sure enough.  I had missed the "Media/Convert_Save" menu.  Thanks.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited February 2022
    If you want to Edit your movies Hollywood style, DaVinci Resolve is still free. The latest version has a simplified Cut page "The cut page has a streamlined interface that’s fast to learn for new users and designed for speed". From Carrara, you can recognize the main GUI: "DaVinci Resolve is divided into "pages," each of which gives you a dedicated workspace and tools for a specific task." https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
    Post edited by 3drendero on

3drendero said:

If you want to Edit your movies Hollywood style, DaVinci Resolve is still free. ...

Good tip.  I'm committed to Vegas mostly because it supports Particle Illusion, which I like a lot.  But I'll pass thjis along to a group of friends interested in video ... and free.  wink