Creating new shading domains from vertex object

jack 4Djack 4D Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi. After performing a series of boolean operations on a cube (e.g., subtracting other cubes from the main cube) in the Assemble room, I convert it to a vertex object so I can assign new shading domains to the various sides. Because of the conversion to a vertex object, the sides are comprised of two or more triangular polygons (sometimes quite a few depending on the complexity of the object) which I first have to delete in order to select any one side with just one click. So I've been manually selecting the polygons from each side in turn and deleting them which is time consuming. But then once the tedious process of selecting and deleting all the triangular polygons has been completed, I'm able to easily select individually the various sides of the object and assign a new shading domain to each, if I choose. Is this the only way to do it or is there another, simpler and faster approach?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited March 2015

Maybe Merge Coplanar Faces? I've had some good luck with it, and some not-so-good luck. It's under the Model menu in the Vertex Modeler. I think it works best if the whole mesh is selected- at least that has been my limited experience.

You could also try the Un-triangulate command under the Model menu.

Is there a way to get what you want without booleans? Or maybe to plan better for a boolean operation, such as trying to better match the points between the two objects where they will be joined/subtracted/added?

Picture_1.png
    204 x 661 - 57K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • jack 4Djack 4D Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply and for all your suggestions. I'll try them.