how to add custom smile dimple?

Hi there! I'm pretty new to Daz (been using for a month) so it would be great if you can explain to me like a dummy cheeky

i'm trying to add asymmetric smile dimples to my daz 8.1 character.

I have already used different morphs to customize the character to what I like.

1. Can't find the dimple 

for the smile dimples, I wasn't able to find one that I like from the other presets

may I ask what is the proper workflow to sculpt it (from other software e.g. blender) and make sure it doesn't break the genesis 8.1 character?

2. How to make the dimple only show when the character smiles / laughs ?

I intended to export the character to blender and unreal for further use (e.g. live mocap)

can anyone please help advice how should I create the custom dimple, so that it will only be shown when the character smiles/laughs?

sorry for noob question! Thanks in advance laugh

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You can't, the mesh is not dense enough so that would need to be an HD morph and that technology is available only to DAZ vendors.

• Thanks for the reply! In daz settings I see there's a base / HD option, that's not the setting?

• We have no way to manipulate the extra vertices added by the SubD process, all we can access are the base cage vertices.

• Hi there! I'm pretty new to Daz (been using for a month) so it would be great if you can explain to me like a dummy cheeky

I tried to post this new users forum but they just told me I can't.

I also tried to follow some tutorials on youtube like these to export the character to blender, and do the relevant changes, and import it back to daz or directly in blender, but the morph just didn't work properly.

What I'm trying to do:

1. create asymmetric smile dimples and make the lacrimals rounder 

2. make the dimple only show when the character smiles / laughs ?

• I intended to export the character to blender and unreal for further use (e.g. digital portraits and live mocap)
    • can anyone please help advice how should I create the custom dimple, so that it will only be shown when the character smiles/laughs?

may I ask what is the proper workflow to sculpt it (from other software e.g. blender) and make sure it doesn't break the genesis 8.1 character?

sorry for noob question! Thanks in advance laugh

• You can sculpt it, but you won't be able to import it unless you are a Daz vendor.  Normal users are limited to just base level of detail which isn't sufficient. https://www.daz3d.com/face-morph-kit-for-genesis-8-female provides female dimples and is usable with 8.1.  There's a similar product available for males.  I'm sure there are others.

• charlescharles Posts: 810

You might as well just try and use Mesh Grabber tool in daz to see if you can make it. Mesh Grabber works at the non base level (non HD). If you switch your character to base mode and Wire Texture Shaded you can see the quads and where the influce for each will be. The mesh verts sizes are not the same everywhere, the face does have a much tighter verts even at the base level, so MAYBE you can add some kind of dimple.

It's also not true that can't edit and render a HD character in daz without being a PA. You can export your character to say Blender in HD as an OBJ, then reimport it back to Daz and reapply the shaders to it and render. It will just be a static object now. So if it's for like a single shot photo, like for a promo or something this is a viable solution. If it's for a character in a series of shots and poses it could get painful.