have a problem with Carrara Pro Master Shaders.

I bought the package to have more brushes with 3d paint. I installed the package in Carrara 8.5 Pro on the Mac. I can see the brushes in the tool in the selection, I want to use them, but nothing happens. Only a black field can then be seen in the preview of the tip. if I want to paint something it doesn't work. what could that be. Other great features. Thanks very much.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

I'm not on a Mac, but here is my workflow.

I have inserted a sphere and enabled the 3d paint tool.  Clicked the current tool brush to bring up the brushes menu.  

Opened the CPM Brushes list.  Chose an alpha bump and set my tool color wheel to red.

In Properties tray textures tab, I clicked the color channel to pick the type of painting I am doing.

I clicked the magic wand looking thingy to create a texture map to paint on.  Answered the questions, set background color, and increased resolution and unchecked compress in the questions that followed.

Because I picked the color channel, Carrara converted the appearance of my object to the background color I picked (white in this case).

I began painting on the object with my brush and the results seem to be as expected.

Sometimes if painting in a channel other than the color channel might not see immediate results, so I often paint in the color channel even for other things (like alpha) and then load the result in alpha channel.

aa01 3d paint tool brushes menu.jpg
    1918 x 996 - 297K
    aa02 cpm.jpg
    1396 x 904 - 224K
    aa03 need to enable a texture to paint on.jpg
    1904 x 903 - 237K
    aa04 click magic wand thingy and get a warning.jpg
    1275 x 782 - 136K
    aa05 increase resolution in this case to 2k.jpg
    1411 x 934 - 177K
    aa06 paint seems to work.jpg
    1920 x 975 - 272K
  • I do use 3D paint on a Mac and find it finicky. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I just created a scene, put in a sphere and tried 3D painting. Only the clone tool and line tools worked. I saved it, quit and restarted and everything worked. Make sure that you have the correct texture selected. The difference between selected and not selected is sometimes difficult to see.

• KhoeKhoe Posts: 294

Hello Diomede as you describe it, I also tried it, but when I select the brush tip it is not displayed correctly, see the screenshoot. I think that there might have been a change when moving from Carrara 7 to Carrara 8.5 Because the brushes were made for version 7 if I read that correctly. DP3DPaintBrushesIII's brushes work. Can you maybe make these brushes yourself?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-05 um 16.12.42.png
    891 x 743 - 273K

I noticed that other brushes have a folder in Data / Strokes / ... in which the JPgs are located. that is missing from these. If you try to open the supplied shader files, then exactly this image data is missing. That could also be the fault that the brushes are not working. that's just a guess

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

I am using 8.5 but am on Windows.  I have had seemingly random Carrara problems sence recent Windows updates, but obviously not relevant for a Mac.

Yes, you can make your own brushes.  There was a demonstration of how to do it in one of the early monthly challenges themed Paradise Lost and Found.  The user was Antara.

You will have to check the WIP thread for a scattering of posts that provide examples of making your own brushes. 

Start here and skim the rest of the thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/402088/#Comment_402088

Thanks for the link Diomed for the link.

I hope that maybe someone else has an idea on the subject. as I said, I just think that's an assignment problem.

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 191
    edited January 2022

Khoe said:

I noticed that other brushes have a folder in Data / Strokes / ... in which the JPgs are located. that is missing from these. If you try to open the supplied shader files, then exactly this image data is missing. That could also be the fault that the brushes are not working. that's just a guess

You're right. For each brush there should be a corresponding jpg-file in the Data/Strokes folder. When you open a brush-file in a plain-text editor (eg notepad++ or textwrangler) you will see a line that refers to the jpg.

TextWranglerScreenSnapz002.png
    663 x 333 - 47K
    Post edited by RuudL on

Hello RuudL
    You are right about the assignment that says which .jpg file to use, but these are obviously missing from the package. I have to read carefully at daz to see if these are available in another package.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,994
    edited January 2022

Khoe said:

Hello RuudL
    You are right about the assignment that says which .jpg file to use, but these are obviously missing from the package. I have to read carefully at daz to see if these are available in another package.

Details

An awesome collection of Carrara 3D Paint Brush Presets using photorealistic textures from my Carrara Pro Master Shaders Package.

https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-pro-master-shaders

CarraraProShaderTex.png
    1888 x 994 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

I found the brushes in the main package. Then I just put the new brushes in the main package and then it worked. everything must always be stored in the PaintBrush / Paint folder.