Are G8.1 skins not compatible with 8.0 models?

ramon73ramon73 Posts: 94
edited January 2022 in New Users

I have bough this nice G8.1 model from the store https://www.daz3d.com/araminta-hd-for-genesis-81-female, but I am not able to apply the skin to any 8.0 model I have, is that normal?

The log gave me this error line when I tried to apply the skin: "Invalid hierarchy for selected node(s) and "preset_hierarchical_material" type; no root(s) found."

Post edited by ramon73 on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406
    edited January 2022

G8.1 skins may or may not be compatible with G8, it depends on which UVs they use: G8.1 figures include new UVs so skins made for those UVs won't work at all on G8.

In the case of Araminta, according to the product page it uses the G8 female base UVs so the textures themselves should work on G8F. The preset used to apply the base skin is a hierarchical preset, though, meant to apply the materials to both the figure and genitalia at the same time, so you can only use it with G8.1F, it won't work with G8F which has a different technical name.

What you could do is load G8.1F, apply the skin preset to her and then save a regular material preset for the skin. That new preset will be usable on G8F.

Post edited by Leana on
  • ramon73ramon73 Posts: 94

Ah thank you for the info. Well, good that I can bypass it, I will certainly do that! It's a really nice skin and skin tone that I want to use on more models in my renders.

Happy new year!