Problems since recent windows updates

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
edited December 2021 in Carrara Discussion

Anyone else experiencing increased problems since recent windows updates?

I am getting more lockups and freezes.  This was a very simple scene.  Just a land terrain, a second terrain replicated in a grid to be the ocean, and an ocean primitive to get its shader.  A realistic sky (Caribean Afternoon), and a sunlight tied to the realistic sky.  The scene locked up when I tried to manipulate the sun underneat the big terrain.  Argh.  The screenshots are just of me selecting the sunlight and you can see that there is no manipulator icon.  The second screenshot is the white screen of death when the Assemble room interface cannot update.

Is it just me?

Screenshot 2021-12-29 172444.jpg
1868 x 973 - 219K
Screenshot 2021-12-29 172526.jpg
1902 x 1001 - 120K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,071
    edited December 2021

no idea, Carrara seems OK but I am having those issues in lots of other software, Chrome Browser seems the worst

Unreal engine, Twinmotion and DAZ studio all seem affected at times, I assumed was just my Win10 computer being it's usual annoying self, my Win7 perfectly OK

in Twinmotion on a simple scene just changing terrain sculpt brush  my RAM shot up to 32GB and I couldn't do a thing for about 10 mins for example

and yes my gizmo vanished in DAZ studio 4.16 beta at one point and switching viewport fixed it, Filament seems the issue there, D|S 4.11 is fine

this makes me think it is an openGL issue

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 2021

WendyLuvsCatz said:

no idea, Carrara seems OK but I am having those issues in lots of other software, Chrome Browser seems the worst

Interesting that it is other software also.  I will be on the look out, especially Chrome.  My laptop will not run the new version of Daz Studio and Chrome at the same time.  I'm finally back home and on my desk top again.  I've checked my scratch disk and my drivers. No obvious explanation for the problems ith Carrara.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

hmm, keep us posted - good luck

edited December 2021

Here is a better summary of how simple the scene is.  This WIP has the terrain (250 by 250), a vertex object 'pedastal' for the terrain (very low poly, about 50 polygons) so that the square terrain edges don't create harsh lines in the ocean, a second terrain replicated for the ocean, and an infinite plane to extend the ocean to the horizon.  That is pretty much it at this point.  Nothing that you would think would cause a lockup.  The shader for the terrain is just a simple mixer blended by elevation.  I haven't even set the shaders yet, except the beach.  

edited December 2021

And here is the castaway view approaching the island.

aa01 scene.jpg
    1860 x 1008 - 322K
    aa02 test render see shaders divided by elevation.jpg
    800 x 450 - 46K
    aa03 castaway view approaching island.jpg
    800 x 450 - 31K
  • to be fair I always change the interactive render settings to 64 x 64 on all my computers

have for a decade

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,006
    edited December 2021

I just threw this one together and then started adding lighting & stuff.. rendering in between

no probs ... Running Windows XI wink

SunSet.png
    800 x 600 - 569K
    Post edited by Stezza on