GPU Usage - Is there a way for me to determine why I went over my card's limit?

Good morning.  I am brand new to DAZ and don't have much advanced computer experience.  My PC has an RTX 3080ti with 12GB of RAM.

Last night before I went to bed, I began a render of a scene I created to test posing, lighting, and other general DAZ features.  Less than a minute into the render, my GPU failed and the CPU took over which led to a six-hour render time.  I'm attaching a screenshot from the log which, if I'm reading correctly, shows the point at which the GPU failed and was no longer involved.  Is there some other place in the log where I can see a breakdown of the GPU usage?  I want to understand which aspects of the scene contributed to going over the 12 GB max.  Or perhaps whether there is some other factor of which I need to be aware.

Thank you!

GPU failure (Rockford's Office - 1st test).png
3655 x 1972 - 574K

Comments

• It does give a break down as it assigns data - it looks as if your card ran out almost immediately.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015
    edited December 2021

Your screenshot doesn't include the important parts of the log, why don't you attach the log to your post and we could tell you more.

Note, even though your card has 12GB's of VRAM, that is not how much is available for Iray rendering. I would estimate, you have max. 9GB's available for Iray rendering.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • Ran out of GPU Memory!!  Do you have another program that uses the GPU open.  I had a video game crash, because I had an idle DS scene open.  The game told me that my GPU was out of memory.  I closed DS and my video game ran OK.

You can monitor in real-time with the performance tab on "Task Manager".  It shows CPU & GPU untilization.

GPU+CPUPerf.jpg
    947 x 742 - 136K
  • Thank you for the responses.  I realized I had to "hide" all of the scene assets that weren't in the render box.  I assumed if they weren't in the box and actually part of the render they didn't factor into the GPU usage, but once I hid them all the problem was solved.

• Yea 12Go is a minimum in 2021, we need 24Go for works nice.... xD But price GPU is just crazy at this moment....

Best solution I found is HIDE one body, make render, Hide other, make render, and assembly on Photoshop. We need to do that with 8go or 12go GPU.

Solution Optimisation is just idiot tools.... xD
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/292421/how-to-reduce-vram-usage-how-much-vram-does-a-scene-need

• Anarkia333 said:

Yea 12Go is a minimum in 2021, we need 24Go for works nice.... xD But price GPU is just crazy at this moment....

Best solution I found is HIDE one body, make render, Hide other, make render, and assembly on Photoshop. We need to do that with 8go or 12go GPU.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/292421/how-to-reduce-vram-usage-how-much-vram-does-a-scene-need

Yes, the prices are crazy "if" and when you're able to find one. The guy who did my build & started ordering parts almost a year ago can no longer find any of the graphics cards I got for the system. Its gotten so bad, my rig was the last system build he's doing until the supply chain improves. frown

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

magog_a4eb71ab said:

Anarkia333 said:

Yea 12Go is a minimum in 2021, we need 24Go for works nice.... xD But price GPU is just crazy at this moment....

Yes, the prices are crazy "if" and when you're able to find one. The guy who did my build & started ordering parts almost a year ago can no longer find any of the graphics cards I got for the system. Its gotten so bad, my rig was the last system build he's doing until the supply chain improves. frown

Here in Finland, the RTX 30 cards have been available since around last May, the selection varies weekly, and the prices for 3090's and 3080's are about 50% higher that originally, but for example the 12GB RTX 3060 has been available for immediate shipment for a price of 500-750 EUR (including 24% VAT) almost all the time