Is there any good method for modeling a ring with noble stone in CARRARA PRO 8.5?

lord Adamlord Adam Posts: 125
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I want to create a small, emerald ring from scratch in Carrara pro 8.5
Is there any good starting point to do this in this software? Does anybody of you knows where I can find some toturials/movies?
So far I find one movie (working with ring in BLENDER) on youtoube...

emerald-engagement-rings-Omi-Gems-15.jpg
680 x 680 - 134K

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited March 2015

I suppose it depends a lot on what type of result you're looking for.

If you want just a simple shape with a simple texture that doesn't sparkle, then that's one type of modelling. On the other hand, if you want a photorealistic model with accurate light response and flickering and caustics and all kinds of cool photorealistic stuff, then that's an entirely different type of modelling.

Can you be a bit more specific on what you want?

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28716/
    not specific but a cool verrtex modeling thread
    once you modeled the main stone it could be reused scaled in all the settings
    I suspect the spline modeler of which I scant knowledge could prove useful too.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

We've had discussions quite recently on making a torus (the basic ring shape) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53634/ I haven't seen many rings without their stones attached, but from what I remember, the actual settings are quite complex shapes. It really depends on how much detail you want. For the stones, I imagine you'd want to look at some of the larger sized geometric shapes (dodecahedrons etc) as a starting point.

edited December 1969

I seem to recall that Blender has a plugin that will insert gemstones as mesh objects. And it also does a nice job rendering stuff like that...

But it's Blender, and it has cooties. :) :) :)

edited December 1969

Oh yeah, now I remember...

Blender has a plugin that gives additional objects, and one (or two) of them are gemstones.

Here's a very old render I did long ago of one of those stock gemstone objects

Diamond.png
    960 x 540 - 633K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited December 1969

Don't know if this helps, but there's a free ring set on ShareCG that shows some screen shots of it in vertex mode. I am a big fan of copying methods or deconstructing models to learn or use if they work if there are no tuts. Some of the SCG work is so good that I also donate!

This ring set band has lots of layers. It was modelled in 3DMax but is available as an object.

I remembered it because I have used his old fashioned street lamp.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76179/browse/5/3D-Model/Diamond-Heart-Ring

If you put "gemstones" in their search slot, you will get some results, including a tut for a DAZ one from Windancer in pdf form. Not sure if it's helpful, though.

Nice emerald by the way!

:D Silene

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2015

If you take SileneUK's idea and deconstruct something someone else made, this site has just about every cut of gem imaginable in various formats for free use: http://www.3dlapidary.com/HTML/Models.htm . Just remember that if you import any of their .OBJ models you need to select the whole thing in the Vertex modeller and Crease Edges or it looks kind of rounded. :)

I used some of their gem models for this image for the diamonds and emeralds (the sapphires on the rings are just a Verrtex model polyhedron cut in half and duplicated.

EDIT TO ADD: Notice JoeMamma's looks better - I suspect he has a much better shader on his than I do and that's much more than half the battle in selling a realistic gemstone. I originally had some nice caustic effects going on, but when I scald these down to fit the scene they went away.

Treasure.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 138K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on