CPU an GPU compatibility

First of all hello and Merry christmas!

so guys im new in this field and some help. more specifically in builing decent pc

currently i have I5 3330 3.0ghz amd not really planning upgrading it cuz for me it would mean building whole new pc and i can't afford that

Soo my problem is GPU. i know that in general low cpu can bottelneck good gpu. soo best gpu my cpu can handle is gtx 1050 ti 4gb wich i know is not very powerful while it's about daz.

is that how it is? or in daz if i use iray gpu rendering it doesn't matter if my cpu can't handle it? for example if i use gtx 1080 ti. would my low cpu affect and make rendering time longer?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Who said the GTX 1050 Ti would be the best GPU your rig could handle?

Being a GTX card with 4GB's of VRAM, makes it almost unusable for IRAY

The best bang for a buck for Iray at the moment, is RTX 3060 (12GB)

• PerttiA said:

Who said the GTX 1050 Ti would be the best GPU your rig could handle?

Being a GTX card with 4GB's of VRAM, makes it almost unusable for IRAY

The best bang for a buck for Iray at the moment, is RTX 3060 (12GB)

well yea rtx 3060 is way better then 1050 but that not the point. im talking about gpu and cpu compatibility.

let's say: in gaiming if you have low cpu but good gpu, you won't get same result as when you have good cpu and good gpu. cuz lwo cpu would botellneck gpu.

and what im asking is that: can i have powerful gpu but low cpu without making render time longer

Don't listen to gamers.

What motherboard you have?

• PerttiA said:

Don't listen to gamers.

BioStar H61MGV3

It looks like your motherboard can not take more than 16GB's of RAM, which will be a limiting factor with Iray as there should be at least 3 times more RAM than VRAM.
    The amount of RAM instead of your CPU will set the "limit" for utilizing the potential of your GPU with Iray, but if you get an RTX card with 6-8GB's of VRAM, you should still be able to render in Iray if you keep an eye on the resource usage.

GTX cards have to emulate the RTX functions in software, so they have less VRAM available for rendering than similar sized RTX cards.

• xinkalia said:

PerttiA said:

Don't listen to gamers.

BioStar H61MGV3

As was already pointed out, its not going to be much help installing a better graphics card in that thing for rendering. What will end up happening is every time you try to render a scene that exceeds the amount of RAM you have available for it, either Daz will crash or your system will crash. If you can't afford to buy a whole new system, maybe you could look into buying a pre-owned system.

CPU speed isn't as important for rendering in iray compared to gaming, and even with gaming, its not as important unless you use ultra-high detail settings and/or want to keep your FPS maxed.