I give up, what is a Discord?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

What is this and for what purpose is it used?

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

It's an app/website that allows you to post messages to other users, like IRC 2.0. Somebody creates a server about a topic and others join in to chat.

Daz3D wants people to use their NFT Discord server, so they're offering free items as incentives.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127

It's an instant messenger like the old Yahoo IM, or MSN IM. Also similar is the IRQ , and facebook chat.

I think they are called "Chat clients" now instead of instant messengers though.

Some gamers use it for it's voice chat feature so they can organize there efforts in the game they are playing.(i.e raiding parties in World of Warcraft).

Because you can have huge numbers of people in your "Channel", it makes an easy way to announce to the group when the raid starts, or when the 20% off discounts will go active in the store, or when you've gone to the toilet and are walking to the main room to watch cartoons and drink beer instead of going to work.

• Deke said:

What is this and for what purpose is it used?

It is very similar to a 'chat' room.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

Thanks!  A chat room by any other name.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,915

AOL Instant Messenger for gamers. 

• a lack of harmony cheeky

usually me missing a sharp on the piano

• is it moderated like this place?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925

Yes, to an extent

• frank0314 said:

Yes, to an extent

A chatroom where you can't speak candidly... may aswell stay here.

Which i'm quite happy to do. 

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

SolitarySandpiper said:

is it moderated like this place?

The Daz Discord is. But anybody can start a server and invite people, so the app itself isn't moderated.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925
    edited December 2021

SolitarySandpiper said:

frank0314 said:

Yes, to an extent

A chatroom where you can't speak candidly... may aswell stay here.

Which i'm quite happy to do. 

I said to an extent. They let people talk as long as they don't get out of hand it's fine from what I hear. You just can't go about willy nilly violating some of the same major offenses we have 

Post edited by frank0314 on