Problems with some pose packages that change the point of rotation.

I've found that some pose packages change the point of rotation for figures that they are applied to. Instead of the rotation point being at the base of the figure, it seems to move to a point outside of the figure block, making rotation on a spot immensely difficult. I'm hoping that someone knows how this is done, and more importantly, how to fix it and put the rotation point back to the normal spot. TY in advance for any help.

Comments

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 513

I believe that when this is done, it is because the pose creater used the hip bone for positioning the figure, which offsets the figure from it's origin. I see this a lot in pose sets where figures are interacting and the pose maker wants them in a specific place relative to each other.

If you hold down CTRL when applying the pose, you will get the Pose Preset Load Options dialog box. If you uncheck the three "translation" boxes, the pose will apply without moving the character, and then the rotation point is aligned with the hip.

• Yes, this means that the hip has moved. In poses from the daz store this should happen only in interactive poses, as Chezjuan says, and to keep the feet on the floor (or the bottom on the chair, or whatever - vertical offset anyway) while placement poses should apply to the figure node (so that pose-pose and placement-pose can be freely mixed as needed).

• I appreciate the advice, normally I just lock the translate parameters to hold a figure in place when the pose likes to set the figure at 0,0,0 or some other arbitary point.. Si that's useful to know., However. while what you say does leave the figure in roughly the same position, but it still changes the orientation of the figure, and the figure is still rotating about an external point, giving me the same issue of trying to orientatate the figure in place once posed, which is really the issue.. Any further ideas, please?

• Zero the hip translations, or if you want them remove them from the hip and apply them to the figure node.

• Ummm.... could you translate that into dumb people speak, please? I'm still learning the intracies of this stuff. 

• If you select the hip bone in these cases it will have non-zero values for its X and Z translations - if you zero those (literally type 0, or hold down Alt(Win)/Opt(Mac) and click on the slider) then the hip bone and the figure node (Genesis 8 Female or whatever) will coincide. If you wanted the figure where it was, click on the X Translation number, copy the highlighted text, replace it with 0, select the figure node, click the X Translation text, and paste the copied value in (of, if it already had a value, type + after the current value and then paste the new number after that - DS will then add the values up)., then do the same with the Z Translation.

• TY. That I can follow. I'm learning, bit by bit thanks to the helpful folks here.

• Aha... Render finished and I had a chance to try this out. You don't try and position the figure by selecting the figure, you select the hip bone instead!!! ~light bulb above head~. TY all. Finally I am there.

• It is generally better to position with the figure and to keep the hip for minor adjustments (keeping the feet on the floor, or for relative placement in a group pose). The idea is that you have a clean separation, so you can save/load the pose and the placement separately.

• Thanks for this thread! This is very useful information that has already saved me a lot of time.