RESOLVED: Error loading Character - What am I doing wrong?

gepetersiiigepetersiii Posts: 86
edited March 2022 in New Users

Hello,

I have searched and searched, deleted and reinstalled multiple times (using DIM)... I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I purchased the Echo HD character from Daz. When I go to load the character I receive the 'Resource error' (see attached image, EDIT: Can't figure out how to attach an image so disregard), warning me that the file could not be located. When I use the 'Browse to File Location...", of course, the file is easily brought up in the finder and can be loaded by double-clicking.

What am I doing wrong? I thank you in advance for your assistance!

Post edited by gepetersiii on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,010
    edited December 2021

What version of Daz Studio are you running? I think you need at least 4.15 for Genesis 8.1.
    Echo is an 8.1 character. Have you installed/updated your Genesis Starter Essentials product to support Genesis 8.1? You may also need to install/update Daz Studio Default Resources product.

To attach an image, click on the Attach a file link below the box where you type your message. Then click the Browse... button that appears below that. Browse to your file, select it and click the Open button.

Post edited by barbult on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,915

barbult said:

What version of Daz Studio are you running? I think you need at least 4.15 for Genesis 8.1.

I believe you could use 8.1 in older versions, but it was the PBR shader that required 4.15 and up. 

edited December 2021

Gordig said:

barbult said:

I believe you could use 8.1 in older versions, but it was the PBR shader that required 4.15 and up. 

That could very well be the case. Thanks for the clarification. If Echo HD is loading with PBR materials, but Daz Studio and/or the default resources haven't been installed, that would probably cause an error. She does come with Iray Uber materials, so those could probably be applied successfully after loading the character.

• gepetersiiigepetersiii Posts: 86
    edited December 2021

My loaded version is Studio 4.16 Pro. All essentials are loaded. (There are no available downloads or installs pending.)

I can load all options from the folder, nothing will load from within Studio. Currently, I have loaded the character using Iray materials (i.e. Uber complete apply, Iray lips, Iray Nails, etc.).

Even at this point, when trying to change materials I receive an error. Typically it warns that the file is not found. Occasionally, I get an error asking if I want to save the current.

edited December 2021

How did you install the content? (Daz Install Manager, Daz Central, Manually from Product Library download, or from inside Daz Studio)? Hopefully you didn't install it twice - once outside Daz Studio and once from inside Daz Studio. That always leads to problems.

What is the complete folder path to the character file you are loading? (Where you say you can find it on the hard drive from outside Daz Studio).

From inside Daz Studio, right click on the thumbnail of the character file you are trying to load and select Browse to File Location. It should open or highlight the File Explorer in the Windows task bar. Look carefully at the File Explorer. Is that the same location where you find the file manually on your hard drive?

• gepetersiiigepetersiii Posts: 86
    edited December 2021

I used the Daz Install Manager (DIM). Installing it twice was a concern for me. Let me explain...

I have some lasting confusion as to why some things install from DIM and others use Daz Central. To add to that confusion, there is an install tab in Daz Studio where some content shows up. Furthermore, there are multiple libraries (i.e. My Documents, and the one in the Program Files).

Confusion aside, I did install my library using default settings the first time. Since then, and currently, I moved my library to an external drive. I DID use DIM to uninstall and then re-install the entire library to the new path. That path is correct in Daz Studio and DIM.

• You should not have content in Program Files.

Read this message. It might help you understand the 4 different installation methods.

If you install a product with DIM and later install the same product again inside Daz Studio (like in the Install tab), the version you installed inside Daz Studio will be used, If you later install an update with DIM, that update will be ignored. Maybe that is what happened to you. Even though you see the files in your hard drive, Daz Studio is ignoring them and looking only at files in the "cloud" folder.

• Thank you, Barbult. I am going to do some tracking down items to see if this happened. But I am 99% sure every character (specifically Echo HD 8.1) I installed using DIM. As I browsed through the Daz Central assets, I noticed that all the items said they were installed already.

When all else fails, delete and reinstall, right!? Although I am pretty sure that is what got me into this situation to begin with.

To summarize so far:
    I installed Daz content using the Daz Install Manager onto an external hard drive. When attempting to load Echo HD 8.1 into the scene, I receive the 'Resource error' warning me that the file could not be located. When I use the 'Browse to File Location...", of course, the file is easily brought up in the finder and can be loaded by double-clicking.

I appreciate all your contributions! Thank you!

Please don't confuse Daz Central and Daz Connect. They are as different as night and day. Daz Central is a dumbed down version of DIM. Daz Connect is what is used when you install a product from within Daz Studio.

Deleting content files and reinstalling them might not fix this issue. Uninstalling from DIM if the product was installed with Daz Connect will not fix anything. If you truly want to nuke everything and start over, I think that involves resetting the database as well as deleting all content files. If you have ever created any categories of your own or assigned any content to categories, you would want to export user data before resetting the database.

A few questions to try to home in on the problem:

1. Have you looked at the Daz Studio log file to see if there is any more information about the "Resource Error"? To do that, try to load Echo HD from within Daz Studio. As soon as you get the resource error and close the error window, go to the Help menu and select Troubleshooting and then View Log File... (See Screensot) A window will open full of log text. Scroll to the very bottom for the latest information. Do you see any details about the error, like WHAT resource is causing the problem?
    2. Can you load Genesis 8.1 Basic Female from inside Daz Studio OK, or do you get the same resource error?
    3. If you own Victoria 8.1, can you load her OK, or do you get the same resource error?
    4. To see if you have ever installed any products from inside Daz Studio (with Daz Connect) Open the Content Directory Manager and expand the Daz Connect Data section to find the path that Daz Connect uses. (See screenshot.) Then once you know that path, use your file explorer to navigate to that path and see if it  contains folders in the data/cloud subfolder. If you see a bunch of folders named 1_XXXXX, where the XXXXX is a bunch of numbers representing the SKU of a specific product, that means that you have installed that product with Daz Connect. If there are only a few, it may be fairly simple to uninstall those products from within Daz Studio. Uninstalling them with DIM will NOT remove them from Daz Connect. DIM and Daz Connect are entirely separate installations in different locations on your computer, but both populate the same database. Yes, it can become a big mess.
    View Log File.jpg
    407 x 344 - 38K
    Content Directory Manager.jpg
    1065 x 964 - 136K
  • First, thank you for your thorough response. And for pointing out how to find that Log! I have been looking for it.

I did a complete delete and reinstall of my entire library prior to running the steps listed above.

1. No amplifying information was provided in the log. It simply listed the error. Again, if I 'Browse to File Location' I am able to see all the files are present.
    2. Yes, the Genesis 8.1 model loads without any problems. Other 8.1 character sets load without problems (i.e. Ginny HD 8.1). In fact, I can load all other 47 characters I have installed. Echo HD 8.1 is the only character that gives me the errors.
    3. Unfortunately, I do not own Victoria 8.1 (yet).
    4. There are two environment assets that have been installed using Daz Connect.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

Gordig said:

barbult said:

You also need 4.15 if you want G8.1 to load G8 morphs automatically.
    edited December 2021

Since all your other character assets are working fine, including other 8.1 characters, maybe Echo HD was created incorrectly. I found another forum post about that product that mentioned missing files. I don't own Echo HD, so I can't check the product. Have you submitted a help request to ask Daz Customer Service about the problem you are experiencing? I think it is time to do so. Give them detailed step by step instructions for how to reproduce the problem.

I'm sorry we users haven't been able to resolve the problem for you. sad

Also remember that you have up to 30 days after purchase to request a refund on your purchase. You can request a refund by sending a help request. Maybe Echo HD is more trouble than she is worth.

• Help Request has been sent and I will update this thread if the cause is detected. I am still tracking down some irregularities with Daz Connect.

I sincerely appreciate the help from everyone!

• on ocasion I have had to use merge or brouse to file location and double click the item there, this however has been mosly with freebies from sites other then daz but if you have not tried this give it a go. It does not always worked but has on ocassion.

• It appears to have been a corrupted database issue. I resolved it by deleting the hidden files in /appdata and then reinstalling everything. The glitch was possibly caused when I used Daz Connect AFTER installing using DIM.

It is working now. I appreciate all the help! Thank you!

I'm glad you got it fixed.