Addicted to this site...is this NORMAL?

I'm so addicted to this site I'm afraid I'm going to spend all my money on it and no one is getting anything for Christmas! Even when I'm not on the site I'm t hinking about what I saw and finalizing my next purchase. I sure hope I can figure out Blender or one of the other animation programs because if so, it is going to be totallly awesome. Granted it is probably going to take a few years....just saying that makes me groan because I'm a very impatient person. I may have to hire people to help me. Is that allowed?

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,911
    edited December 2021

Normal? As in, "common"? Yes.

Healthy? NOPE.

Good luck! laugh

Post edited by Hylas on
  • (Wait till he finds out about 3rd party sites like renderosity)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726

bvgiroux_fbbb1654d3 said:

(Wait till he finds out about 3rd party sites like renderosity)

or renderotica devil

• Oh you guys, being so 'naughty' lol ...

There's the freebies thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/freebies

And there's sharecg dot come ... lots of freebies there too.

And there are several items and resources that can be found over on Deviant Art ... like tutorials by Sickleyield, textures by me, morphs by several PAs, etc.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited December 2021

The thing to really worry about is when you're watching a science fiction movie and you start comparing the production design with Stonemason's Urban Future series. 

Cheers,

Alex.

Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,149
    I think my addiction got worse, since I started years ago, because I'm always on a laptop that can barely handle most other 3D apps. Only DS runs smoothly and is usable. But then, I don't do many ambitious illustrations due to my limitations, so I need to purchase accordingly.
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493

It is an absolute addiction. The ironic part is that there are such regular freebies and free content included with the program itself that you really don't NEED to buy stuff. It's just extremely fun to do so and collect those things that make you want to make a render. In many cases, mine included it is largely buying because I am a completist. I should make a render a week with all the stuff I've bought over the years and not buy anything new for a year as an experiment. I'd never, ever run out of subject matter even if I only included the freebies. It's really incredible. The entirity of the world with only a few exceptions is available as a product it sometimes feels.

• eponicaeponica Posts: 197

I have been hopelessly addicted to DAZ for a number of years now. It has completely changed the way I approach storytelling. When I do a storyboard using DAZ, actually seeing my characters and situations seems to clarify my thinking a LOT. My plots become much more concise and extraneous stuff gets thrown out because it's an extra item I have to render. Now I really can't imagine being without DAZ. As you go along you will discover some other wonderful sites, some of which are mentioned by other folks above, but anyway yes, it is completely normal to be addicted to DAZ 3D!  smiley

• semperequstrisemperequstri Posts: 150
    edited December 2021

Welcome to the club! I've been an addict since the days of Poser 2 ( that's 1996)!  I "transferred" my addiction to all things DAZ when Genesis came out, so I'm hopelessly hooked.  My bank account has survived my addiction through pacing my purchases and learning how to make stuff ( props ). I also harvest all the freebies I can.

If you want to start 3D modeling I'd suggest trying something with a more simple interface than Blender. After years of practice and study using Cinema 4D I now need to swtich to Blender. My C4D R17 is getting old and I can't afford an upgrade. I feel like I'm learning 3D modeling all over again!   Instead you might want to start learning basic 3D modeling principles in Wings3D. It's a lot less intimidating for a complete novice than Blender would be.

Unfortunately this is an addiction that takes a lot of time and patience to learn. After 25 years I'm in no way an expert. But I still have a TON of fun creating the things I like to create!

Post edited by semperequstri on
  • Its the sales... oh look I'm getting 300$ for 80$ better spend now.. damn 200$ but i'm sazing 800$ better spend now.... spent the last of my stimulas money on here, havnt used 80% of it. there always a sale slow down only bye what you need now.