I'm learning to use daz3d cartoon rendering, and there are some problems

I learned from here https://blog.daz3d.com/make-comic-book-quality-cartoon-drawings-with-daz-studio/ ;

Where are the contour lines on the character set? Sometimes I don't need these contours, sometimes I need them to become thinner, and where are the shadows on the character set? Cartoon characters generally have only one change in the shadow in the same color block (in the test, some of my models have no effect, neither contour nor color block layering). Thank you for your answer.

composite_01_Toon 2-tone cam (1).png
967 x 881 - 286K

Comments

• Are you using the correct render settings, in particular have you set the Render Engine to the right version of 3Delight (rather than Iray)?

• 30799420793079942079 Posts: 16
    edited December 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you using the correct render settings, in particular have you set the Render Engine to the right version of 3Delight (rather than Iray)?

I'm sure it's 3delight. What determines the number of shadow layers and stroke on the character, or how to find the relevant option settings?

Because I try to render a model, the head has cartoon effect, but the body has no cartoon effect, which makes me very confused. Does cartoon rendering have special requirements for model materials?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • 30799420793079942079 Posts: 16
    edited December 2021

Because I try to render a model, the head has cartoon effect, but the body has no cartoon effect, which makes me very confused. Does cartoon rendering have special requirements for model materials?

Post edited by 3079942079 on
  • MartirillaMartirilla Posts: 179
    edited December 2021

Hard to tell from your render but you may be working only in the Cartoon Shaded viewport, perhaps with straightforward OpenGL rendering of that?

In which case the edges and shadows are controlled by the scene light direction. Add a light to the Cartoon Shaded scene to turn off the universal Headlamp, and then move the new light around. Watch the shadows and lines change on the figure. Add a number of lights around the head to get a flat (strong uniform illumination) look, with three Linear lights. 

Or load a UberEnvironment based light (e.g Light Presets, Skin Builder Promo) and ramp up the intensities, to get a more universal flat look from any camera-direction.

It's not impossible to get a sort of comics look out of Daz, if you use Scripted 3Delight as per the article, and can filter the lines render in Photoshop and then paste it back into the layer stack. That's what's been done here, but no textures have been fixed to get rid of the 3D look.

But it is hard work compared to the ease of Poser 11, which does it better and in realtime. Poser 11 can still be had, for $80, you don't need to spend a fortune on 12 early access (and be a test-bunny too).

No idea about your weird big head / body difference. But perhaps you applied some 3Delight materials to the head, but left the body as Iray?

Post edited by Martirilla on
  • Martirilla said:

Hard to tell from your render but you may be working only in the Cartoon Shaded viewport, perhaps with straightforward OpenGL rendering of that?

In which case the edges and shadows are controlled by the scene light direction. Add a light to the Cartoon Shaded scene to turn off the universal Headlamp, and then move the new light around. Watch the shadows and lines change on the figure. Add a number of lights around the head to get a flat (strong uniform illumination) look, with three Linear lights. 

Or load a UberEnvironment based light (e.g Light Presets, Skin Builder Promo) and ramp up the intensities, to get a more universal flat look from any camera-direction.

It's not impossible to get a sort of comics look out of Daz, if you use Scripted 3Delight as per the article, and can filter the lines render in Photoshop and then paste it back into the layer stack. That's what's been done here, but no textures have been fixed to get rid of the 3D look.

But it is hard work compared to the ease of Poser 11, which does it better and in realtime. Poser 11 can still be had, for $80, you don't need to spend a fortune on 12 early access (and be a test-bunny too).

No idea about your weird big head / body difference. But perhaps you applied some 3Delight materials to the head, but left the body as Iray?

Thank you for your suggestion. I give up rendering in DAZ and intend to export it to blender,Maybe I'll try poser 11 in the future